Chapter 21

Malia

"Tell me more about this non date."

Elena and I are FaceTiming during my ride to the airport. We're meeting up in Chicago for a Women in Business Conference and my suggestion we table this discussion until we're well into our third round of drinks, has fallen on deaf ears.  

"Not much to tell, since it wasn't a date.  The whole non-date thing is self explanatory."

"You're the only person I know who can take a candlelight dinner and turn it into the most boring story about mergers and acquisitions."

"There was no candlelight."

"Fine.  Muted office fluorescent light.  At any rate, the man flew into town to apologize for the spa trip, which we both know you overreacted about, and you want me to believe it was all super platonic?"

"Doesn't matter what you believe.  I have the truth."

"Good slogan for dealing with the paparazzi and gossip rags.  You should write it down."

"I don't have to worry about anything they say.  No one knows I exist and Ryan is free to do what he wants.  We're getting the paperwork filed forty-one days from now."  

Elena and I have been going back and forth about my non-marriage for nine days.  She thinks I should give this more levity than I have and treat it as an actual matrimonial union as opposed to the business deal it is.  I should have known telling her Ryan kissed me goodnight was a mistake.  Or the bigger mistake was telling her that he thought is was a date.  I roll my eyes even though no one can see.  Am I the only sane person around here?  Everyone's seeing unicorns and rainbows and I see the facts, which I relay to her in precise detail.

"Ellie, I want you to know how much your support means to me, and you're being really great talking about boys post Nathan breakup, but this one is not the boy we're going to be eating ice cream over.  Ryan and I are just friends.  It was just us hanging out together and I can assure you that the kiss didn't mean anything to either of us."

"Can I quote you on that?"

"Of course."

The cab arrives at my destination.  "Ellie I just pulled up in front of the airport.  I'll text you before take off and call when I land at O'Hare."

Right after the captain announces to buckle our seat belts and turn off electronic devices, I text Elena.

Me: Taking off

Ellie: Ok. Chica.  Safe flight.  

She sends me a winking kiss face emoji before I power down my phone.

The inflight entertainment from DC to Chicago is an episode of Celebrity All Access.

Award season is upon us and we're all excited to see who's wearing what, who's dating whom and where the most talked about parties are being thrown.

The edited clips are of past awards seasons, the latest movies and television shows and the hottest celebrities.  I'm not surprised when Jesse and Ryan's face flash across the screen.  Ellie tells me their show is nominated for an Emmy in best something or other.  Whatever it was sounded like a big deal so I'm rooting for them.

I fire my laptop up as soon as it's safe to do so, and make the final adjustments for the vineyard proposal.  I've finally gotten a slow yes from the family which means this deal is happening.  I'm throwing in an extra 50k if they sign on the dotted line at our next meeting, which will put me on track to start the renovations for the B&B by Memorial Day.  If I can keep to the schedule, Elena's end of summer party can be held on the grounds.