Three - Edited

I couldn't get the conversation out of my head once we were back at the house

I couldn't get the conversation out of my head once we were back at the house. The way he looked at us. The way he smiled through every awkward comment. I wanted to smack Sammy for telling him we would come. My mind raced to figure out why he'd want us there in the first place!

"Which room do you want?" I moaned, throwing my jacket on the floor in the hallway. I was just too exhausted to put it away at the moment. Pushing the bags to the side, trudging down the hallway looking for comfort. Right now, all I needed was sleep, and I needed it fast. I stood in the doorway while Sammy checked out both rooms.

"Are you sure you don't want to be a part of this decision?" She questioned,opening up one of the closets to compare the two in size.

"I honestly don't care. You tend to have more clothes than me anyway."

She ran back and forth for what felt like a hundred times before deciding on a room. "I pick this one," she stated, walking back into the hallway.

"Okay," I sighed, heading in the opposite direction. "Come get me in a week's time. Until then, I will be asleep." I waved my hand, my shoulders drooping as I managed my way into the opposing bedroom.

"Wait, you don't want to know why?" Sammy followed me into the empty room, her hands clasped together in front of her like a small child. She seemed disappointed I wasn't more interested in her reasoning. I wasn't interested in anything other than drowning in a giant glass of coffee right now.

"Why?" I questioned, deciding to be the better person and give her the attention she wanted.

"Because tomorrow's your birthday," she beamed.

"So I get..." I questioned, unsure what she was getting at.

"The bigger room!" she shouted, throwing her hands over her head before rushing over and giving me a quick hug.

My arms were lacking the energy to hug her back.

"Okay, let's celebrate tomorrow after I sleep for twenty hours." I grabbed the door handle, trying to usher Sammy out. She practically hopped across the hallway to her very own bedroom, all the while talking to herself about all the birthday plans she had for tomorrow. Amazing what a nap on a long car ride could do for someone's energy.

I turned to take in the now empty bedroom, the white door shut behind me, locking out any burst of energy Sammy might return with. I closed the distance between me and the bed, not caring if the sheets had been washed, or who slept here last. All I wanted was to get some well-needed rest.

----- Later That Afternoon -----

"What do you want to do for your birthday tomorrow?" Sammy held the glass close to her lips, like she was trying to decide if she should drink the ice-cold water or not. We sat on the back patio, taking in the mountains behind our house.