Fifty-One

I sat staring at the table in front of me. How could my mother have forgotten something like this? Something as important as our family history... Did my grandparents not know either? Did they have no recollection of the fins they posses? Was it just my mother that didn't know?

"How could that be?" I turn to Hudson. He said he had done research on my family, but how was he able to do this? "How could you..." Asada cuts me off.

"We have records of every mermaid that has ever walked the earth. Since your mother has the blood she was put in our book, but we watch, and if you hit your twenty-first birthday without a transformation then your memory of the sea is wiped clean." This seemed off to me because if there was no transformation then how would one know of the world beneath the waves.

"What memories?" I had so many questions flowing through my mind. Immediately turning to Sammy, her eyes flicked back and forth as she held her head in her hands. My heart sank. The poor girl must have a million questions of her own and here she was listening to everyone else's thoughts.

"Your mother has been in the ocean. Both your grandparents had fins, they worked very hard with training for her. This was so she would be prepared when she made the transformation. She never did, those memories with her parents were erased." Hudson flicks at the fork laying on the table in front of him. He seemed on edge, his hand fidgeting as the words left his lips.

"This doesn't make any sense?" Gage interjects. Asada shoots him a glare.

"Of course it does, you are just holding on to the reality you know too closely," I glance at Gage, his jaw was tense, a vein popping out in his hairline. He was very clearly angry. I reached over placing my hand on his thigh. I wanted to make this better for him, he had given up his life to help me. I immediately pull my hand away, the realization washing over me once again.

Gage was a mermaid.

I glance down at the food in front of me. I hadn't touched a single piece of it, the food depressingly whole. My stomach was tied in a knot so tight I didn't know if it would ever come undone. My body trembling with both exhaustion and confusion. I decided it would be better for myself if I forced a few bites of food. Maybe I was just so overly hungry my body was panicking.

I grabbed the fork quickly stabbing at some lettuce before shoveling it into my mouth. I munch down on the leaves while Asada watches carefully. Why was she so worried about me eating my food?

"So question..." Sammy starts, the whole table pauses to look at her. Others began to dig into their food. Taking small bites here and there. "Olyvya has powers, like she can control water. How do we figure out what we have? Do we just start pointing at things and hope something happens?"

"What gave you that idea?" Asada and Hudson look at eachother questionably. Sammy turns to me searching my face for an answer. How did they not know about my powers? My ability to manipulate the water however I liked.

"Powers?" Hudson mutters, he too paying no attention to anything other than Asada. "Do you think..." his voice trails off before Asada chimes in.

"Hush..." she seethes between gritted teeth. Shaking her head violently she turns back to me. "You need to train more," her long slender finger pointing directly at my chest. "You have no clue what you are messing with,"

"Asada, how are they supposed to train?" Hudson whispers. He wasn't very good at it because the whole table heard him. Asada rolls her eyes in annoyance at her brother.

"Just start pointing at things and hope for the best," Asada dropped her utensils on the plate in front of her. The food barely touched. She began pushing her way towards the edge of the booth, scooching her brother out of the way.

"That's not going to work..." my voice felt weak when the words finally manage to come out. There was no way the three of us would just be able to figure out how our powers work. There wasn't a how to book online or a manual we could just follow. "We need help," I add quickly. Desperate for answers.

"Why don't we just go train together? Sammy questions. I nod my head. Asada wanted us to work on our powers alone, but if she wanted us to really get them down why wouldn't she show us.

"They are right, if you want them to work on their powers they need to know what they can do," Hudson smiles half heartedly at Asada as he spoke.

"But, they need to problem solve on their own," Asada waves her finger through the air.

"How about you guys come over around three tomorrow and we will work on figuring out what powers each of you have gotten. Especially you Gage, we have never seen anyone transform in the way you have," Hudson's nearly gray eyes were captivating as he zones in on Gage. Gage tenses up in his seat.

"Alright, I guess that is all we needed. I will see you guys early tomorrow afternoon since Hudson insists I must help you," Asada glares at her brother. She obviously was distressed by us coming over.

"Wait, where do you live?" Sammy questions.

"I know where it is," Gage responds.

My heart sinks as I look at Asada. He knew because of their previous relationship.

"Good, three pm do not be late." Asada growls as she pushes Hudson towards the edge of the booth. They both get up from their seats before heading towards the door.

"They didn't pay," Sammy states, her hand smacking her forehead.