Forty-Nine

“Uh, I only brought two gems, what the hell happened to him?” Asada points at Gage as we sit in the booth at the restaurant. My mind was racing, why did Asada want us to meet here? This place was so crowded, what if someone overheard us? Asada holds out two necklaces handing one to each of us.

    “What are these necklaces?” Sammy reaches out grabbing the green one. She quickly places it on her neck.

    “These will keep you from transforming every time you get wet,” As soon as the necklace was against Sammy’s skin it began to glow a soft hue. Like the light was hitting it perfectly at all times. Asada reaches up flicking the glass of water on the table. Quickly the glass teeters to its side before spewing the liquid all over Sammy, her pants now soaked.

    Sammy’s face shoots up, her eyes as wide as the sun as she begin to panic. She needed to get somewhere before she transformed. Gage and I quickly filtered out of the booth before Asada jumps up in front of us.

    “She won’t change, just watch,” Her voice was calm, but my stomach was turning in circles. This wasn’t a place we should be risking something like this… especially when she was always so mad at me for being a danger to our secret.

    “Asada you are insane,” Sammy growls, her voice coming through gritted teeth. My heart races, along side Sammy’s I'm sure.

    “Just sit,” Asada seemed calm. Sammy takes the time to dry up the booth before sitting down on the seat. I nudged her a few times in the ribs before she glares at me.

    “I know the transformation takes longer when your start out, but hey look,” I point at her legs. That was the good thing, they were still legs. She wiggles her feet looking around the restaurant.

    “You're right, I never changed,” Sammy was confused her eyes filled with light as she looks at me. She was just as relieved as I was that she never transformed. I watched her as she ran her hands up and down her legs.

    “I told you guys, you need to learn to trust me,” Asada continues. The waitress comes to our table taking our orders before clearing the menus off the table. I wasn’t really sure what I wanted to eat, or if I would be able to in the first place. I was starving, but stressed. I wasn’t in the mood to eat, but I was hungry for knowledge.

    “Why did you bring us all here?” Gage pipes in, his body still tense from the water on the booth. I glance down the best I can at the blue necklace hanging delicately on my chest. Reaching up on the table I place my finger in the glass of water in front of me. If we really didn’t change with these necklaces on then I would be able to take normal showers again.

    “A little history lesson,” Asada was calm, her arms gently placed on the table as she leans forward sipping her soda.

    “History lesson?” I question, Asada nods.

    “You guys are going to be one of us you need to know where we come from,” Asada paused for a moment. “My brother will be here soon and then we can begin,” Sammy and I looked around the room searching for someone who looked anything like Asada.

    “Hudson is coming,” Gage mentions. Asada nods again.

    “He is the keeper of our history, since he can’t swim in the depths of the sea he might as well be useful for something,”

    “He can’t swim?” Sammy asks what we were all thinking. How could the brother of a mermaid like Asada not be able to swim.

    “He is a half breed, our father cheated on my mother with his, she ended up pregnant, and here we have a brother to the queen of the sea that can only form gills. He lacks the fin needed to propel through the water at such depths,”

    The three of us looked at each other as a handsome young man rushed towards our booth. His jaw sharp enough to kill, his eyes nearly silver the were so blue and his blonde hair resembling his sister. He takes his seat next to Asada before whispering an apology to her. She raises her hand towards us before introducing us to him.

    “Sammy, Olyvya, and you remember Gage,” Her brother nods as she tells him our names. “Everyone, this is Hudson, my younger brother.”

    I could see in Sammy’s eyes she was in love. This was someone she wanted to spend all of her time with. She was practically drooling as she watches his every move. What makes it worse is he flashes her a smile. Maybe he had a thing for redheads. Sammy smacks me, her eyes shooting  me a knowing look. She must have read my mind.

    “Are you guys ready to  begin?” Asada questions, a waitress brings our orders placing them on the table in front of us. She leans over flirting with Hudson as she takes his order, I can feel the anger radiating off of Sammy. I lean towards her whispering in her ear.

    “You need to calm down girl,” She shoots me a death glare before working on her salad. The waitress leaves after slipping a piece of paper to Hudson. He crumble it up throwing it in the middle of the table.

    “Well where were we?” Hudson turns back to the table giving all of his attention to us.

    “I was just about to explain to them the history of our kind,” Asada turns to Hudson. “But first I had to tell them about all of your downfalls,” She snickered leaning into her brother.

    “Only if you can find any,” He chuckled back. Sammy was practically melting in the seat next to me everytime he spoke. I wanted to slap her out of the trance she was in.

    “Alright, now to the bad news,” Asada starts, looking around the table.

    “Bad news?” The three of us say at the same time.