Fifty-Four

Excitement takes over as we all cheer for the accomplishment Gage had achieved. Sure it wasn't much but at least he was able to manage just long enough to know what his power was. Now it was just time for practice. Gage wiped the bead of sweat from his forehead as he took a moment to catch his breath.

"Did you hold your breathe the entire time?" Hudson mutters as he leans forward feeling the temperature of the water. Gage nodded quickly as he leaned back in the chair.

"So I can freeze water huh?" Gage chuckled to himself as he continues to wipe his face obsessively. Hudson nods in response.

"Looks like that is what you can do, we will have to work on your control though," Hudson pauses for a moment before looking at Sammy. Sammy blushes slightly as she stares longingly in return. Were they communicating again?

"Oh hush Hudson," Sammy chuckles as she covers her face with her hand. Gage and I shoot each other looks as we question our mutual friend. Sammy places her hand in the air before looking up towards the sky. "Would reading people's minds be my power?"

"Not always, sometimes people will have more than one power, usually a land related power and a water related power, you won't be able to read minds once you are under the sea, have you noticed how it goes silent?" Asada says as she walks out the door onto the patio to join the rest of us. Everyone turns to watch her.

"What do you mean land powers and water powers?" I question looking down to search my hands. How could I possibly have more than one power? I've felt like I've been a mermaid for my entire life and I knew hardly anything about it. I shook my head staring at the chipped nail polish on my fingernails.

"Exactly what I said Olyvya, some powers you can do on land and some you can do in water, you are just a little complicated because your land power involves water. You wouldn't be able to control the water like that under the sea," Asada seemed annoyed that she was even here in the first place. Maybe she was still annoyed that I spilled water on her nice table.

The three of us looked between each other. Questions flew through our minds as we tried to absorb this new information. It felt strange. I couldn't even imagine what it felt like for Sammy and Gage considering they had only transformed a few days ago. They didn't have any time to really get a grip of their powers. They had no clue how to use them or even what it really felt like to just be with the ocean. My brain couldn't even fathom the powers that each of them held, let alone my own powers. I was able to control water on land but what the hell would I be able to do under the waves?

"Look guys, we don't just find this all out overnight. This will take time and practice and you will fill it when your body is ready to undergo the magic the first time. The transformation is complete just with the fin. Your body has to adjust, it has to figure out what is going on and how to morph into what it will truly be. This can take years," Hudson waves his hands as he speaks. The words flowing through the air and in one ear, out the other. There was no way I was going to process all of this information this quickly.

"So, Sammy and I might not know what all of our capabilities are for years?" Gage questions as he motions towards the redhead nervously biting on her nails. Hudson nods in response.

"Olyvya as well, she isn't a fully developed mermaid yet. She is just a yearling. The youngest you can be. This will all get easier the longer you are around it," Hudson was more soothing than his sister. Asada's words always came out so harsh. I was appreciating his attempt at teaching us what we need to know. My body was tense though, as Asada's eyes dance judgingly against my skin.

"So we are just expected to point at random things when we fill a surge of magic and then what?" Sammy pipes in. Her voice quivers slightly under the stress.

"Yes, and imagine what you are thinking or feeling. This is the only way to find your powers, we can't just test you. For your case as well as Olyvya, you both will have to find your powers in the ocean. You know your land powers, now it's the sea's turn to take control. Spend lots of time in the water but be careful. Gage you better listen as well. Until you have mastered your power you need to practice it as often as possible. Tiny ice cubes will not help you, you need to freeze more things," Asada informs us as her blue eyes glance over the three of us.

"How did you?" Gage begins.

"I know everything, I see everything, and I've imprinted on the three of you, we are all connected her," Asada searches her brother as if he had the answer to Gage's question.

"She is right, mermaids are all connected, you guys should be able to sense where each other is already, you're just not trained enough to understand what the feeling feels like," Hudson adds on.

"I'm annoyed of this today, too much history knowledge my brain is fried," Asada rolls her eyes as she stands from the chair. She ushers us to get up as well. I glance down at the time on my phone only to realize we had barely been here an hour. Why was she trying to get rid of us so quickly?

"Alright best of luck to you guys with those powers," Asada waves as she pushes us towards the front door. The three of us glance at each other as we exit the house. Sammy turns on her heels as Asada pushes her out the front door. Grabbing the door jam she looks Asada in the eyes before asking her question.

"Game night this weekend, our place. Okay?"