Forty-One

"Yes," I was finally able to whisper. The butterflies taking over my body as Gage stood staring down at me. He leans forward planting yet another kiss on my forehead, my toes wiggling in my shoes. Why did I like him so much? I heard Sammy pounding on the door waiting for me to follow her. I jumped in my skin, the noise startling me from my thoughts.

"Oly, come on, you have legs that work, don't take them for granted use them," I rolled my eyes, the fiery redhead shouting through the door. Part of me wondered why she didn't come back in like maybe she knew Gage was going to ask me out. But how could she have known?

"I better go," I awkwardly wave, my body stiff. Gage chuckles lightly grabbing the door opening it quickly.

"We will see you this Saturday night then," I nodded my head in response. Saturday sounded perfect. I finally leave the kitchen heading into the darkness of the garage, Sammy jumps on me grabbing my arm, wrapping hers through mine as she tugs me along towards our house. I'm watching the trees pass by, the streets filled with houses as we walk back to our apartment.

"What took you so long?" Sammy questions.

I decide to ignore her comment, I wasn't prepared to tell her about Gage asking me out on a date. I needed to let it settle in my mind, see how I really felt about it before I go telling others. Sammy looks at me, her eyes settling on my face as I look away. I wanted to just walk, to take in the silence for a moment, maybe the calm before the storm. The houses were beautiful and I had felt like I sped up too much in my life, I needed to stop to smell the roses.

Sammy placed her hand on my shoulder, her lips pursed together as we walked. I smiled bringing my own hand up to meet hers. I nodded at her, mentally thanking her for all she has done for me.

Soon enough we round the corner to our home. The place seemed small, after spending a few days in the ocean and some time in Gage's house. I walked up to the recognizable front door, enjoying the quaint little lodge in the trees.

Sammy pulls the key out of her pocket quickly placing it in the lock on the door. She turns the key, opening the door as we enter the house. Sammy was inside first, her gasp informing me something was not okay. I rush in behind her scared of what awaited me.

Inside our hallway was a pool of blood, what looked to be fresh, the liquid sticky and gooey as it sits on the floor. Sammy stepped over it, searching the ceiling for any sign of drips. She cautiously entered the kitchen, when he let out another gasp. I did my best to get over the blood, the pool too big for a normal person to just step over. I grabbed the wall using it as balance as I jumped, trying to launch myself across the thinnest part. I pray to myself that I make it across without getting any of it on my shoes. My heart was racing, my body scared of whatever Sammy was staring at.

When I finally catch up to her, she is frozen pointing towards the living room. All of our furniture was moved, not damaged, just moved.

"Someone came in here and redecorated?" Sammy was right, Everything was still put together, but reversed. The tv on the other side of the room. The couches opposing it. But nothing was damaged. Sammy turns quickly on her heel flying up to the rooms. I pause for a moment before realizing what she was doing.

"Our research!" I shout as my legs sprint towards my bedroom, towards the papers that said everything about me, the pictures of my transformations, every single thing I had found out. Whoever did this might have that information now and it would be all my fault.

Sammy and I flung through my bedroom door like a bunch of firecrackers, and here things were reversed as well. I shot towards the bed, pointing at the drawer in the bottom of the dresser.

"Search there!" I shout, directing Sammy to where she needed to go. I drop to my knees to pull the black box from under the bed...it was missing. "Shit!" My hand slapped against the floor where the box should have been, my body crashing to the wood below me. I lay staring under the bed just waiting for a sign that everything was going to be okay.

"There's nothing here either!" Sammy's voice was just as panicked as mine had once been. There was only one person who could have done this. One person cynical enough to not damage anything, but switch everything around. She wanted me to know that she could get inside without anyone knowing.

"We need to get out of here," My words were basically whispers, nothing more than a silent warning. I knew they were coming for me. Asada had warned me when we were underwater. Even after all the horrible things she did to Gage, and how she nearly ended his life. Even after her harsh threats I never listened. I never packed my things and left. But did she really want me to storm straight home and grab everything, leaving within the hour? That must have been it.

But I needed to make sure Gage was okay, to make sure he was going to settle back into life. I needed to get Sammy, to make sure I wasn't gone too long. But now I needed more protection than myself, and suddenly it hit me.

I didn't leave fast enough and the pool of blood was my warning.

Asada was coming to kill me.