Nineteen

Around midday, I finally found the beach I was looking for

Around midday, I finally found the beach I was looking for. The one that led to the house I had seen on the night of my first transformation. The house I spent my birthday party at, it felt like years ago. I stretched my tired arms, trying to get normal human function back. I sat in the sand hidden behind a large rock that during high tide would be surrounded by water, but now, on low tide was just as dry as my skin.

I stood searching the sand for any form of clothes I could find. Had I not taken mine off before going swimming? Then I remember, I wasn't wearing any in the first place. I had left my house nude, and I was going home the same way. I slumped down behind the rock once more. I couldn't travel that far without any kind of cover.

I searched my brain for any sort of escape. I just needed an oversized shirt, anything that would cover my important assets. My face felt hot, my skin begging to get back into the water. I was dehydrated. My hair clumped with salt and sand. I silently cursed myself for not being more prepared for a midnight swim.

How did I even get to the beach in the first place? Last memory I had, I was passed out in my bedroom. Safe and sound wrapped up in the black sheets of my bed. There was no reason I would have left that comfort, not even for the ocean waves. I watched the water, my eyes scanning carefully for signs of the other girl. She was long gone by now, it had been hours since I'd last seen her.

I stood once more searching the private beach. Gage would be horrified if he knew I was out here without him knowing. He was very protective of his ocean. I glanced up at the house, I would be too if I had something this marvelous. If I could afford my own private beach, that would be all I needed.

I searched my feet looking for any sign of the scales, there was none. Quickly I jumped to the next rock. Hiding behind them like I was a top secret agent trailing after someone dangerous. This wasn't the case though, I was simply just searching for an exit plan. Maybe Gage is home, he would help me.

I slowly snuck up to his house, every few minutes stopping to watch the water once more. I just wanted to go for another swim. Something about the water drew me in, it captivated me, it excited me. Something about the other girl, made me need to know more, it lit a fire for information that I couldn't put out by just swimming. I needed answers. I snuck up to the back door Gage had taken us through the first time we entered his house.

Wiggling the door handle I realized it was unlocked, it popped open making a sudden noise before creaking to a halt. I entered the garage area, sneaking towards the door into the kitchen. That one was unlocked as well. I paused for a moment before opening it, placing my ear against the wood listening for any sound from inside. Was I really breaking into Gage's house?

Once inside the kitchen, I was greeted by the smell of freshly made food, someone was here. I rushed to the guest bathroom that was connected to the kitchen, grabbing a towel off the rack, using it to cover my body I entered the kitchen once more.

"Hello?" I called off into the distance. My voice hoarse from lack of use. Like I had just woken up from the best sleep of my life. I tried to remember when I had woken up. There was a loud noise from the basement. Like someone had heard me and dropped something in a rush to get upstairs.

"Hello?" I called once more, waiting for Gage to run around the corner to greet me. It felt like it took him forever. I took a seat on the stool next to the bar, I didn't want to explore too far into his home for fear of intruding. I shouted once more waiting for an answer. Finally rushing around the corner of the stairs was Gage, he looked older.

He froze once he saw me, his jaw dropping. He had facial hair, it was thick and long, longer than I had expected. It looked like he hadn't shaved in almost a week. His body seemed frozen, his feet nailed to the floorboards. He wasn't moving. I decided to break the distance between us, taking the few steps that separated us.

Gage took a few steps away from me. His eyes never leaving mine. They were dull, darker than I had remembered them. Why was he running away from me though?

"Olyvya?" He finally whispered, his voice just as hoarse as mine when I first spoke. I nodded my head. Why was he acting so weird? He rushed forward accepting my answer pulling me into a hug. His arms squeezed around me so tightly I couldn't breathe. I coughed a couple of times accidentally dropping the towel.

He pulled away his rough hands wrapping around my face, holding my gaze. He closed the distance between us, his lips meeting with mine in one quick movement. My body melted into him, taking in the shocking kiss like it was something I had craved. My brain confused but not able to focus on anything but Gage's lips twisting with mine.

Once he pulled away he stared at me for a few more minutes before kissing me on the forehead and pulling me into another hug. My body fully exposed against his now. The towel in a mess on the ground. My heart raced at a million beats per second, my lips tingling where his once were.

"What was that all about?" My voice was muffled into the leave of his jacket, his arms wrapping around me even further.

"You were gone for almost a week,"