Thirty

Saying goodbye to my parents was one of the hardest things I had to do

Saying goodbye to my parents was one of the hardest things I had to do. I hate when they leave. Having them around had been both a pleasant and stressful time. I look down at the menu in front of me, Sammy and I sit in the restaurant where Asada works. I needed to talk to her once more. I couldn't shake the idea that the blonde girl at the beach was Asada, and why had she intentionally hit me like she did.

I wasn't really hungry, my eyes searching the restaurant for the demon in disguise. I watch the kitchen door viciously as if she was going to pop out of it any moment. Lucky for me she did. I jump from my seat rushing over to her as she stood taking the orders of some guests.

"Asada...we need to talk!" I shout grabbing her arm, a bolt of electricity surging through my fingertips as I do so. She turns smacking my hand away from her arm.

"Later," her voice was soft. She was calm and I didn't know how she was because I wanted to kill her. My body filled with so much anger and confusion. I shook my head, my hand forming into a fist, I wanted to just slam it against the wood table, the customers staring at me like I was a psycho.

"No, there is no later, I need answers now Asada!" My voice was ridiculously loud, I could feel the words shaking in my throat. Asada grabs my arm pulling me towards the back door.

"Get the hell out of here!" She growls holding me close to her face. I can smell the mint in her gum as she speaks. I shook my head once more, my hands placed on her shoulders as I push as hard as my arms can manage.

"No!" I shout once more. The tears bubbling up in my eyes as they slide down my face. The tiny crystals bouncing against the ground shattering from the fall.

"Olyvya?" Asada points to my tears, her eyes dancing over the blue shards covering the gravel. I could feel my body shaking, my world crashing around me. I couldn't tell you why I was so frustrated. I needed answers, I needed to know what was going on with me.

"Wait, how do you know my name?" I blubbered through my sobs. My mind not even considering the girl in front of me staring at my tears transforming on my face. She places her hand under my chin turning to look me in the eye.

"It is going to start raining in the next four minutes and if you don't get the hell out of here, everyone will know your secret. I will meet you later." I pause for just a moment to gaze up at the sky. She was right. Storms clouds were brewing in the distance, raindrops falling rapidly against the buildings down the road. My heart races in my chest, I turn on my heel rushing into the restaurant to grab Sammy.

"I have to go!" I yelp as soon as I reach our table. She sat the menu still in her hand as she watched me run out of the restaurant like a chicken with its head cut off. Before I could make it too far down the road I could hear her footsteps crashing on the ground behind me. I ran away from the rain, heading towards the sea.

"Where are we going?" Sammy shouts she was clearly out of breath. I turn glancing at her over my shoulder. My legs pressing faster than I had ever run before. I ran through streets and alleys behind buildings. I needed to get to the water before the water gets to me. When my feet finally hit sand after what felt like I was running miles, I let out a quick gasp of breath before pushing forward just as hard as I had been running. I turned once more to realize Sammy was nowhere to be seen.

I quickly stripped off the clothes I had been wearing before running towards the water. I paused for a moment looking around to make sure no one was around. Luckily there wasn't a soul. The rain was closer now, my heart begging for the sea. I took the first few steps into the sea, the water rushing over my ankles as I continued to move. My body shivering in the freezing air around me.

"Olyvya wait!" I heard Sammy's voice shout from the edge of the sand. She looked as if she had been crying. She had no reason to cry though, her life wasn't over. I covered myself the best of could with my arms to not expose myself to my best friend before turning and taking a few more steps into the water. "Please don't leave me!" I heard her shout once more, but it was too late.

Once the water was above my knees I place my hands out in front of me, bending my knees, I could feel the transformation taking over me as I dove into the water. My legs tingling as they merged together into a connected fin. The blues of my scales ripping through my skin as I began to kick through the water. Sammy's words stung my ears as I swim deeper into the water.

I needed a minute to breathe. I needed a minute to not have to deal with anything other than the fin taking over my body. The ocean washing through my hair, taking away the streaks from the tears falling down my cheeks.

This was my new home. This was where I belonged. No one would ever understand that. No one would ever see the sea for what I did. Not even Asada.

I swam until I found a rock. Taking a seat on the rough stone I placed my elbow where my knees would be and I lean my head on my hand. Watching the fish swim past as my hair wraps itself with the waves. I needed to take a few moments to breathe.

Or I needed to just stay underwater forever. Leaving Sammy and everything I know behind.