one

hyungwon double-checks that he's in the right dormitory, quickly glancing back and forth between the number plate hanging on the door and the piece of paper he's holding in his hand, the handle of a suitcase that's full of his clothes and belongings in the other. it's only the first day of college, yet judging by how tired he is from trying to keep track of where his classes are, he already can't wait for it to be the last.

he twists the doorknob, entering the two-person room that he was going to be staying in for the rest of his college days. his gaze sweeping across the tidy space, he can't help but feel a bit terrified at the thought of who his roommate could possibly be. a junkie? a delinquent? a party animal?

he sits on the bottom of the bunk bed, silently praying that no matter what kind of person they were, his roommate wouldn't do anything to try and make small talk with him. he's almost certain that socializing is the last thing he needs, especially when the only place he can be himself is in the dorms where he's alone (okay, maybe alone with his roommate—but as long as they act like the other doesn't exist, he could care less.)

as if on cue, hyungwon hears the door open with a click, his heart stopping along with it. the door slowly creaks open as if he's acting in a horror movie—how fitting, he thinks to himself—only to reveal another boy with raven-black hair, eyes full of warmth, and a smile that could put the sun to shame.

hyungwon blinks owlishly.

"hello!" the boy greets loudly, making hyungwon wince at the volume. he strides into the room with a suitcase big enough to make it seem like he was travelling around the world, stopping to hold a hand out in front of hyungwon. "i'm lee minhyuk. it's nice to meet you!"

"um... hi. i'm chae hyungwon. it's nice to meet you too," he says, accepting minhyuk's hand hesitantly. (he immediately regrets doing so, as minhyuk shakes his hand with so much enthusiasm he's afraid his shoulder's going to dislocate.)

"i'm so glad we're roommates, hyungwon." minhyuk pushes his suitcase off to one side of the room before taking a seat next to hyungwon on the bed. "because, we just so happen to both be majoring in acting. then i'll at least know one person in my class. isn't that great?"

hyungwon forces a smile. "yeah, it is."

if minhyuk notices how strained hyungwon's smile is, he doesn't say anything.

"hey, do you want to know a secret?" minhyuk asks.

"i-"

he doesn't bother to wait for an answer.

"my dream is actually to become a florist," he announces in a loud whisper, his lips stretching into a cheeky grin as soon as the words leave his lips. "and maybe even open up a floral greenhouse made of glass or something."

that sparks hyungwon's interest.

"then why are you studying in a film and acting major?" he inquires, with a tilt of his head.

"my parents want me to become an actor, i guess," minhyuk replies with a simple shrug. "said that it would be a waste of my looks if i chose otherwise."

"...oh."

minhyuk studies hyungwon closely, bursting into laughter upon his speechless expression. "i was joking about the last part," he admits with a light nudge of his elbow. "my parents actually do want me to become an actor, though."

"it really would be quite a waste," hyungwon blurts out without thinking.

he sees minhyuk's eyes widen in mild surprise.