ten

DAY FOUR

"rise and shine."

hyungwon's eyes open just a crack, getting adjusted to the morning sun shining in through the window before fully opening, seeing minhyuk inches away from him. he doesn't budge.

"go wash up, i've already prepared breakfast for you." minhyuk ruffles his hair softly, getting up from the bed and leaving an empty feeling between hyungwon's arms.

"already?"

"mhm." minhyuk smiles serenely, his eyes shutting for a brief moment. "you wake up early, but you're still quite the heavy sleeper."

hyungwon props himself up on both elbows, yawning widely.

"i'll be there in a minute."

"hyungwon, would you mind if i said we're going to be staying at home today?" minhyuk inquires while hyungwon just manages to clean off his plate.

"no, i'm alright with that. but, why are we?" hyungwon spares a quick glance out the window. "the weather isn't too bad."

"it's because," minhyuk falters, either for dramatic effect or because he's trying to think. "i need to save up energy for tomorrow."

"tomorrow?"

"you'll see what i mean," minhyuk closes off mysteriously, leaving the dining table to take out some board games.

hyungwon sighs. minhyuk always loved playing guessing games with him. even though he always seemed to wear his heart on his sleeve, there were still many things about him waiting to be uncovered.

there aren't as many board games for two, but minhyuk still found enough from the shelves to last for at least until the afternoon. they agree to play uno, and in order to make it interesting, they decide to kick it up a notch.

"how about we choose a punishment for the loser?" minhyuk says as he shuffles the cards.

"what kind of punishment?"

"i'm up for suggestions."

"hm... the loser treats the winner to a meal in the future?"

"in the future? i don't think there's a big chance that i'll be able to." minhyuk makes a face, but his eyes soon light up with an idea. "the loser has to name three things they like about the winner?"

"sounds good."

minhyuk beams. "then let's start."

their short-lived game of uno ends up with hyungwon losing horribly, and minhyuk cheering loudly, bouncing up and down in his seat.

"and now, for your punishment?"

"okay, okay." hyungwon looks up at the ceiling, as if he can find his answer there. "one, your smile that's always there no matter what. two, your optimistic attitude and ability to lead me along wherever we go. three, the way you loved me was something i hadn't ever felt before."

hyungwon hears minhyuk letting a 'pfft' past his lips, and his gaze falls on him. minhyuk looks up and their eyes meet, a pair being slightly puzzled and the other masking the wetness behind them with a playful amusement.

"is that all you can think of? you should really practice if you're going to sweet-talk hoseok one day," minhyuk laughs. if he sees the mildly bewildered look on hyungwon's face, he doesn't show it as he turns away to grab the set of monopoly.

in truth, minhyuk knows better than anyone that hyungwon isn't one for sweet, romantic words, and that their chemistry with each other isn't something that can simply be explained with only words from the dictionary. it was so much more than that.

but on another note, just those three things were enough to serve as comfort for minhyuk, letting him know that hyungwon did appreciate and cherish his love for him, even if it was once upon a time.

while hyungwon takes out the board and sorts out the paper money, minhyuk resists the urge to correct hyungwon's words, saying that it was—and still is—love, not 'loved'.