five

minhyuk's cold has already been there for over a week, which is a bit abnormal considering his strong immune system (and after breaking up with hyungwon, it's only gotten worse-he often finds himself with little to no appetite, and he thinks he's even lost a small amount of weight due to it).

nonetheless, he doesn't let it get in the way of his life; even though it does, in some ways he can't explain.

"minhyuk, would you mind helping me to carry those flower vases over here?" the flower shop manager, hyunwoo, requests.

"i'm on it!" minhyuk makes his way to the medium-sized flower vases made of glass, attempting to pick one up. "oh, these are heavier than i thought."

"really? i thought you had more strength than this," hyunwoo says as he arranges a colorful assortment of flowers.

"so did i." minhyuk has to carry one with both hands, and even so, he already feels a bit worn out when he puts it on the counter. "how strange. is it because of the cold i've caught lately?"

"it could be. have you went to the doctor to get a check-up yet?" hyunwoo places the back of his hand on minhyuk's forehead, checking for a fever. he seems to find nothing out of the ordinary.

"no, but maybe i really should soon." minhyuk chuckles.

"the shop isn't busy today, so i'll let you get off work early. getting some rest might help you get better faster." hyunwoo looks at him, concerned.

"really? thanks, hyunwoo, you're the best," minhyuk gives him a quick hug, waving goodbye and exiting the shop. the bells hanging above the door come to life once again with a calming jingle.

hyunwoo watches minhyuk's backside growing smaller and smaller as he walks further away, before staring in slight confusion at the flower vase in front of him.

using only one hand, he picks it up with ease.

along the way, minhyuk's thoughts wander to a different time and space, but in the midst of his daydream, one of his breaths seem to travel the wrong way and he starts to cough, quickly covering his mouth with a hand and feeling something wet in the back of his throat, along with an unpleasant, metallic taste in his mouth. he pulls his hand back, his mind going blank as he sees something dark red.

blood.

minhyuk finally arrives at home after making a detour to the nearest hospital.

his heart feels like it's about to be crushed by an invisible weight, his mind unbearably numb. his hands are trembling, clutching a thin stack of paper containing a typed-out report of results. he can barely remember anything; bits and pieces of the doctor's words play in minhyuk's mind like a hazy, poorly-recorded tape.

as if the gods above are mocking him, his phone screen lights up, showing a text from hyungwon.

"you can keep the house, i promise. i don't know when i can, but i'll be coming over to pick up my things."

with that, his life crashes down on him, and he breaks.

minhyuk's legs give out from under him, and he falls to the floor, screaming and cursing and throwing endless punches at the ground, asking no one in particular about why it was him and not someone else. it's unfair, his life is unfair, the world is unfair, everything is just so fucking unfair. he sobs and sobs until his throat becomes painfully hoarse and he's gasping for air. his tears continue to fall as he begins to weep silently.

minhyuk hates himself for letting hyungwon go.

for telling hyungwon to live in seoul without him, for thinking that nothing would ever change between them.

he should have begged for hyungwon to stay in busan, he should have promised to find a way to maintain their relationship the moment he had said to stop seeing each other, he should have done anything.

yet, he didn't.

now he's left on his own.

and there's nobody else to blame but himself.