nine

DAY THREE

"hurry up, hyungwon. if we don't make it to the ice rink in time, there'll be too much people."

hyungwon has barely just become fully awake when he sees minhyuk passing through the hallway and throwing on a large hoodie, his hand struggling to find the correct opening.

"the... ice rink?" hyungwon repeats, still sitting on the bed.

"yes, the ice rink. that's where we're going to go today," minhyuk says, throwing hyungwon a set of clothing that he's already prepared for him.

"but i can't skate."

"having fun is all that matters." minhyuk stands in the doorway, patiently waiting while hyungwon changes his clothes (it's quite a strange sight, considering the fact that they're exes, but then again, they've been together for years. watching hyungwon change his clothes is the least embarrassing thing minhyuk can possibly think of). "i've already packed our lunches, so we can just eat inside the rink."

"...i'll go start up the car."

"coming here early was totally worth it." minhyuk has a satisfied smile etched on his lips as he turns to hyungwon. "right?"

"i guess so, but it's freezing." hyungwon shivers, further emphasizing his point.

"i told you to bring a jacket, but you wouldn't listen." minhyuk sticks his tongue out. "let's go put on our shoes."

they walk over to a spot on one of the rows of seats surrounding the ice rink, high enough so that the few people already skating in it look almost like ants.

minhyuk seems to know how to tie the bladed boots by default, his hands moving swiftly and smoothly to tie the shoelaces in several tight knots, and soon he's finished tying both shoes in no time. meanwhile hyungwon, on the other hand, struggles to even successfully tie a ribbon on his left foot.

"need some help?" minhyuk says, in between laughing breaths.

"no, i've got this."

hyungwon's first shoelace loosens the second he ties up the other, almost comically.

"on second thought..."

minhyuk shakes his head with a wide grin on his lips. "turn here."

hyungwon turns to face minhyuk, and he leans down to help him tie his shoes correctly. hyungwon's gaze unknowingly lingers on the others' backside, but his eyes dart away before he can notice.

"there you go. you have to always make sure it's tied tightly enough so you won't sprain your ankle and your feet won't get hurt," minhyuk warns, reaching for hyungwon's helmet and helping him to put it on before wearing his own.

"noted."

"don't forget to put on your safety gloves, too. i'm an expert, so i don't need them." minhyuk jokes, giving hyungwon a warm smile and standing up. "i'm heading down first. come down when you're done."

hyungwon stares at minhyuk's backside. a strange and sudden thought had occurred to him when he happened to look at the top of minhyuk's head a few moments ago.

was it just him, or had minhyuk's hair lost its usual shine?

"took you long enough, mister turtle," minhyuk teases when he sees hyungwon standing at the edge of the ice, reluctant to go in.

"hey, i'm not a turtle," hyungwon protests, but minhyuk only blows a raspberry in response. "do you know how hard it is to walk down the stairs in these ice skates?"

"if you aren't a turtle, then try and catch me." minhyuk slowly starts to skate backwards with a chuckle, not taking his eyes off of hyungwon; who gingerly takes a wobbly step after another onto the ice, clinging on the the edge of the rails for dear life.

"it would be much easier if the ice wasn't so slippery-" in the midst of speaking, hyungwon's hands lose their grip and he sways and stumbles on his feet, trying to maintain his balance but to no avail. he's about to fall face-first onto the hard surface of the ice, but luckily minhyuk rushes forward to catch him in his arms in time.

"that was close," minhyuk heaves a sigh of relief.

"i think i just saw my life flash before my eyes." hyungwon's voice is an octave higher than it normally is as he places a hand on his chest to calm down his pounding heart.

hyungwon and minhyuk look at each other in silence for a few seconds, before they start to snicker, then burst out into full-on laughter, leaning on to the railings for support while they wipe the tears that had slipped out.

"gosh, that was hilarious." minhyuk is still letting out a chuckle every few seconds as if he's drunk.

"we shouldn't waste any more time if we want to skate in peace. it looks like more and more people are coming inside." hyungwon looks off at the entrance, and surely enough, there's quite a few people walking in. (what was it with all the couples these days?)

"good point." minhyuk nods, pursing his lips in thought. then, he stretches a hand out in front of hyungwon. "here, hold onto my hand. hopefully you might not fall as much."

hyungwon takes minhyuk's hand without a bit of hesitation.

"come on, we can't lose to these people," minhyuk pulls hyungwon forward, picking up a bit of speed once the latter gets the hang of it. "us two? losing to ordinary lovebirds with such perfect relationships? ridiculous."

hyungwon laughs at that, and minhyuk mirrors his smile with an even brighter one.

even if it's only for a few hours, the two ex-lovers still manage to have the time of their lives—and for once, they're finally able to fully forget about cruel reality, and the reason as to why they're actually here in the first place.

when night falls and hyungwon's already fast asleep in his bed, minhyuk quietly walks into the room, being careful not to make any loud noises that would wake him up.

minhyuk sits on the chair of the desk placed next to the bed. he leans forward and rests his head on his arms, listening to hyungwon's rhythmic breathing and the steady rise and fall of his chest while looking at his peacefully calm expression. he stays like this for several minutes.

come to think of it, the little time he had to spend with hyungwon was already more than halfway over. even if it meant selling his soul, minhyuk would still undoubtedly be willing to do so if it meant he could be with hyungwon for longer than only five short and pitiful days.

although, what he's doing now is practically the same; using up the last scraps left of his life, to reminisce about the past few years of his life with hyungwon.

minhyuk's smile is wistful as he stands up, about to leave—but then, he feels a hand wrapping around his wrist. suddenly, he's yanked down onto the bed, lying face to face with hyungwon with their foreheads nearly touching. hyungwon lifts up an arm to pull minhyuk closer by his waist, his chin resting lightly on the latter's head.

sleepily, hyungwon mumbles out a single word, and minhyuk nearly misses it from how gentle it is. gentle, yet a simple message, that only belonged to them, and them alone.

"stay."

and stay, is exactly what minhyuk does.