\\ chapter 4 \\

I smile as the sun only just begins to rise, the sky clear and the waves rolling perfectly. It's a week til Christmas but the weather's actually good. I jump out and throw my hoodie off, leaving me in just my bikini; I grab my black wetsuit and slip it on, zipping it up fast.

"I knew I'd see you here." I hear Jacob call.

I look around and see him walking over with a board under his arm, his wetsuit on but onto to his waist. I glare a little; so much for a peaceful surf. I sigh heavy and look at him as I cross my arms over my chest. "You called Quil didn't you?"

"I may or may not have paid him 20 bucks to let me know when you planned on surfing. That kids a pushover." He laughs.

"That jackass is never sleeping round again." I snap and grab my board from the roof of the car; I slip the strap on my ankle and walk barefoot down the sandy LaPush beach towards the waters edge.

Jacob follows. "Come on. You've forgiven Sam but you won't me?"

"Nope." I wade into the water.

"Sam and I barley speak anymore. We aren't friends, doesn't that make you feel better?" Jacob calls as he zips himself up.

"Nope." I huff and paddle out into the bay.

Jacob easily keeps up and we sit side by side, floating, once were a little way out. I watch in amazement as the sun rises high above us; it must be around 8 am. Jacob smiles up at the sky, too. "We used to love sunrise."

"Point there is used to." I say bluntly.

"Goddammit Robyn!" Jacob bursts. "I'm sorry okay? I'm sorry I'm Sorry, I. Am. Sorry." He rambles. "I hated Sam so fucking much, especially for driving you away, but he was there when I needed him. I'm sorry for ignoring you but it was his orders and even when he and I no longer got along I respected that he wanted you to do well at school and stay focused. You're all I ever thought about - I could have used my best friends advice a hellava lot." He sighs. "I wish I could change it but I can't and all I can do is fix it so please please let me do so."

I stay silent for a minute and look at the orange reflection of the sky on the water. I slowly smile and take a deep breath. "You're lucky it's almost Christmas... jerk."

He sighs loudly in relief and rubs his face. "Bitch."

I giggle and lay on my board. "Come on, let's actually surf now."

He smiles and I paddle ahead, eager to hit a big oncoming wave. I turn around and crouch as it approaches, balancing as I slowly stand. I grin and smile wide as I ride it for about 30 seconds before I crash into the water, resurfacing as I push my hair back. Jacob resurfaces a moment later and grins as we both lean on our boards.

"Remeber the last time we did this? The only summer you came home - that first year." Jacob says.

"I beat your ass." I smirk.

"No way!"

"I so did, and will again." I wink and immediately paddle out again. He scrambles and immediately does the same.

-

It's about 10:30am when it begins to become overcast, the clouds rolling in and the air turning even colder. My teeth chatter a little as I paddle out again, Jacob watching. "Okay, time to call it quits."

"Hell no." I protest. "Not until the last surfer goes." I smirk; I always like to be the first in and last out.

He rolls his eyes. "Stubborn bitch."

"Yes sir." I wink and keep going.

As I paddle out again about 10 minutes later, Jacob heads back to shore to meet someone - I think it's Paul Lahote. I see them talking but I follow Paul's gaze to two young girls playing about knee deep in the water, obviously he's looking after them.