// chapter 17 //

I couldn't bear a mini honeymoon after the eventful wedding day so Paul and I just ended up spending a few days in bed watching movies with Eli. The fact that Joshua may still be around makes me want to lock the doors and never leave the house again. I do not want him near me, my son or my family. He needs to be gone.

I roll over and face a sleeping Paul and Eli; Eli is tucked under Paul's arm as they both snore, their mouths hanging open. I smirk and take a picture, tucking them up before I head downstairs. Mom sits at the table with a coffee in her hand. It's untouched and cold because like usual she's just staring into nothing. The woman's in shock.

"Momma?" I say gently, kneeling beside her. She blinks slowly and looks at me; I tuck her hair back. "Hi." I whisper and smile. "Have you slept? Eaten?"

She takes a shaky breath and shakes her head. "N-no."

"I'll make pancakes - and don't say you're not hungry, you're eating." I kiss her cheek and stand, grabbing things to make the pancake batter.

She smiles small at me. "You tryna mother me now, huh, Mrs Lahote?"

I blush; thats the first time anyones called me that other than Paul. "Yes, because you've done it for Sam and I for a lifetime - it is your turn to be taken care of."

She smiles as I mix the batter. "I am so unbelievably proud of you, Robyn Uley Lahote." She sighs.

I kiss her cheek as I pass her to get to the fridge. "All thanks to you." I make her 3 big pancakes before making a larger pile for me and Paul to split. He'll be awake any minute - he will smell the food and bombard down here-

"Damn, what smells good?"

I laugh and shake my head a little as he comes in with Eli. "Right on cue, baby. Chocolate chip pancakes, only once you've fed our beautiful son."

He groans and turns around, grabbing a yogurt and banana from the fridge before he sets Elijah in his highchair and begins to feed him. I kiss Paul's cheek and Elijah on the head as I give mom another coffee. "How about a beach day?"

"It's raining." Mom pulls a face.

"A birdie told me it won't be by midday." I smile.

"It's weird that you still message Alice." Paul pulls a face. "You used to hate the Cullen's."

I scowl. "I didn't hate they just stink... And they're annoying. Too pretty. Alice is cool though, and Bella, so shut your mouth husband and feed our heir." I tease.

He rolls his eyes as mom laughs gently. "Awh, married life. Its all down hill now baby, he's gonna gain weight, develop a taste for football and moan like there's no tomorrow."

"He does that anyway, maybe not so much the weight thing although he eats way more than average." We laugh.

"Hey! I'm right here." Paul protests.

"Oh sorry, didn't see you porky." I kiss his cheek.

He slaps my ass playfully and I shriek, shooting him a look. Once we've all eaten, Elijah has been bathed and we're all dressed, we head to the beach, opting to walk as the skies begin to clear. Mom carries Elijah in the baby carries, talking to him as he faces forward for the first time. I lean on Paul smiling, both of us walking just a few steps behind to get some alone time.

"How's she holding up?" Paul asks as he watches mom talk to Elijah, pointing things on the trail out to him.

I sigh, gripping his waist. "No clue if I'm honest. She's trying to be okay but I know she isn't - I'm most certainly not. Joshua turns up on our wedding day, of all days, and he hasn't aged. He's been phasing and no one knows how... And what does he want from us? He left, he chose to cut every tie he had with us and now he wants it all back. Doesn't that seem fishy to you? "