//chapter 19//

I stare at Jesse in shock. "You... what?"

He sighs and sits up, leaning towards me. "I hate him, I always have. I don't want to be this, I dont want to phase, and the only way to not be this is to get rid of him. But I can't do that right now because he is still my dad, the guy who taught me to catch a ball, not get caught when taking a candy bar I didn't pay for and control my phasing. But he is also the guy who's willing to kill his own child just to be an alpha - he told us it is our blood right, that we are a direct descendant of Taha Aki, the origional alpha and shapeshifter, so it should be the alpha's, more specifically him."

"He is right, we are directly related to Taha Aki, but the Black family are even more so. Jacob's grandfather Ephraim was the last alpha, Sam was for a short time only because he was the first to phase. We don't have a claim."

"Tell Joshua that, he won't listen." Jesse looks at his lap. "I've always wanted to know about our- your tribe." He corrects himself. "Joshua only told us parts of some of the legends, and he always hid his thoughts from us when we phased with him. I hate secrets and lies but it seems my whole life is based off them. Look..." he sighs. "My mom died. I know it was because of him, I know it was, but I can't pin it on him because I have no proof. I just want your help either getting it or killing him, you can push his buttons. Will you help or not?"

-

I slip the hoodie on as I phase back just outside the house, turning to look over my shoulder to see if Jesse is there. I see him slipping his shirt on as he comes out from behind some bushes. "Not a word." I order him making him nod quickly. We head towards the house and the door flies open, Paul running out and catching me in a hug. "Jesus, I'm okay." I giggle small as I hold him tightly.

He sighs and sets  me down, kissing me hard. "I was so worried."

I cup his cheek and stroke it. "I'm okay, I promise."

He kisses me quickly before looking at Jesse. "Thank you for finding her. When you said you were good at tracking, well I didn't think you'd manage it. This one likes to disappear." He nods towards me.

Jesse smiles and shrugs awkwardly. "It's cool... I should go."

"Jesse, will you stay? I think we can all agree you're on our side." I say as I hug Paul.

"I mean... if its okay with your alpha." He shrugs, smiling small.

I smile and hold my hand out to him. "Jacob would never say no to me."

He smiles and nods taking my hand in his. We head into the house and I instantly run over to Eli. "Mommy missed you!" I gasp and hold him close. My first unofficial night away from him.

"Bella said he's been a little star." Paul says as he sits down. He glances at Jesse who hesitates. "Sit down, you're making the place look untidy."

He laughs a bit and sits down, watching me slightly. I smile. "Jesse, this is Eli, mine and Paul's son."

He reaches up and takes Elijah's hand. "Hey cutie. You look like your mama." He coos as Eli smiles and drools, chewing his other fist.

I smile and look up as the front door opens, Jacob coming in. "Oh hey, can you take Eli for a sec while Paul and I talk to Jake?" I ask him and he nods awkwardly as he takes Eli. I smile and head over to Jake with Paul, all three of us stepping outside. We know he'll hear but I know he'll try not to listen.

"Why's the kid still here?" Jacob asks as he crosses his arms.

"I really think he should stay." I say, looking up at him with my best puppy eyes. "He has nothing, he doesn't want what Joshua promotes and fights for - he just wants to belong, to feel needed. We all understand that feeling."