\\chapter 20\\

I carry Eli on my hip as I walk into the kitchen, watching as mom leans against the counter and stares at the back of Jesse's head, her coffee mug against her chest. I raise an eyebrow and she catches my gaze, scurrying out of the kitchen seconds later. It's been hard for her, very hard for her, but she doesn't want to kick Jesse out. Despite being a reminder about everything that's happened, she won't see a young boy go out in the world alone with nothing and no one. It has just been a tough few weeks of adjusting.

I cover my sigh and force a smile. "Good morning." I sing, placing Eli on Jesse's back as Paul finishes off his food.

Jesse groans and laughs. "Good morning." He coos as he lifts Elijah round into his lap. My sweet boy shrieks and bounces, Jesse being his favourite person.

Paul downs his coffee. "Guess who's in baby sitting duty?" He winks to Jesse as he gets up and quickly kisses my cheek. "I'll see you soon." He says before running off for his patrol - always late, my Paul.

"What's this about baby sitting?" I ask as I slice some banana and heat some porridge for Eli.

Jesse smiles as he pulls faces at him. "Oh, Paul asked me to watch this lil guy so you and your mom could have a day out."

"That's sweet but I couldn't ask you to do that, you've never been alone with a baby." I shake my head as I sit down and take him, popping him in his highchair.

Jesse shrugs. "I can handle him, really, your mom needs you. She.. She's been staring again."

I sigh as I feel Eli. "I'm sorry kid."

"It's okay. I'd talk to her but she always scurries away before I can. I hate to be such a pain here..."

"You aren't." I shove him gently with my elbow as its the only thing free. "I wouldn't put up with you if you were. Okay, I'll take mom out for an hour, two at most, and you and Eli can have a play date. Okay?"

He smiles and nods, his curls bouncing. "We'll have the best time." He promises.

I smile and hand him the bowl and spoon, letting him feed Elijah as I head to find mom. I find her in the nursery, folding clean laundry. "Hi momma." I smile gently. "How about we go out and get some stuff to bake? Paul's been asking for some of your brownies."

She looks over. "Leave the house..." She whispers to herself. "I can't, there's laundry to do and I have to dust and-"

"I will have Jacob come and do the laundry while Seth dusts and vacuums." I smirk.

A small smile spreads on her lips but it soon fades. "I don't know if I remember the recipe at the minute..."

"I do." I say gently and hold my hand out. "Cmon."

-

Mom keeps her head down as we walk up and down the aisles of the grocery store, grabbing the weekly shop while we get things to bake with. "Self raising flower right?" I say, knowing she'll react.

"Moron." She mutters and snatches the bag from my hands, grabbing the correct flour. "Never use self raising with brownies, they'll end up like a cake and who wants a dry ass chocolate cake." She mutters.

I smirk and hold my hands up in surrender letting her take the lead. She's still in there if that's all it took to get her to react - that's a good sign. We finish up the shopping just as I get a call through.

"Hey jakey wakey." I sing.

"Jesse just ran - he got a call and ran." He says urgently.

I frown and look at mom quickly. "Where? What direction?"