Chapter 16

Any was catching up to me as we reached the last sprint, I could see her in the corner of my eye, red faced and worn out - probably what I looked like.

She wasn't fast enough though, as I passed through the finish line Amy let out a muffled scream.

I was still breathing heavily, walking in circles as I saw my friends come onto the field along with my dad and my brother.

"You bitch!" Amy screamed out of no where and I gave her a confused look.

"What?"

"I've tried everything to try and jeopardize you. I took you to that stupid party and I put itching powder in your trainers."

I laughed at how ridiculous she sounded.

"I don't think they were my trainers you put them in." I told her and looked over at a girl who had the same trainers as me, running crookedly.

"Fuck!" She screamed before walking towards her group of friends. Two people caught my eye who were greeting her. One of them was her cousin and the other one looked really familiar.. I was trying to put my finger on it when I was interrupted by someone coughing loudly behind me.

I turned around to see everyone smile. I gave them all hugs and high fives before my dad and brother walked over.

"Well done pumpkin." My dad gave me a hug and I saw Tim behind him, give Ryder and Brendan a dirty look.

"Thanks dad." I smile.

"Yeah well done Mackenzie." Tim said between his teeth not breaking his glare from Ryder who was now returning it.

"Winners, please make your way to the podium."

After collecting my awards, I thank my coach and congratulate my team.

"Well I'm going to get my stuff and then I'll meet you in the parking lot?" I tell the guys and they nod. I walk off with my dad and brother following shortly behind me - my dad was taking a phone call so was trailing far behind us.

"I thought I told you to stay away from them." Tim said in a whisper.

"As if I'm going to listen to you." I scoff.

"Mackenzie.. You don't understand."

"I know what they do in their spare time so save the talk."

"You know?"

"Yeah I heard them talking about it."

"I don't want you to get caught up in it."

"As If I'm going to get caught up in that." I tell him with humor.

"Just be careful ok?" Tim told me as we got to the entrance to the locker rooms.

I nodded before giving him a hug.

"Be home before 6, you're still grounded remember." My dad says.

"I'll see you later." I say and they nod before I go into the locker room.

•••

"Hey pumpkin." Blake said as I approached them. I rolled my eyes and slapped his forearm.

"So how are we going to celebrate?" Axel said, rubbing his hands together.

"I was thinking we could all go back to mine?" I tell them and they all look at each other.

"No offence but your brother is pretty scary and we don't have a good track record with him and his friends." Jeremiah says.

"We could go back to our place?" Blake says and we all agree.

Jeremiah and I get into Ryder's car whilst the others got in their own.

"What's between you guys and my brother?" I ask them and they give each other a glance.

"That's for him to tell you." Ryder says.

I stay quiet knowing that I will soon get my ways and get it out of Jeremiah.

•••

When we get to their apartment, Ella and I sit on one of the couches. Because we were both sat in the middle, there was space next to Ella and a space next to me.

Brendan glanced at the space next to me before sitting down next to Ella and picking up a controller to play a game with the other boys.

Jeremiah came and sat next to me, giving me a cute smile.

"Have you told anyone else about you know.."

He shakes his head and pulls out his phone, going to his notes and typing something.

I think Ryder knows.

I take his phone and type underneath it.

How do you know?

He's just observant like that.

I bite the side of my cheek before looking at them play the game. Ella was having a conversation with Brendan whilst he was playing but he never once took his eyes off of the screen.

Jeremiah and I were both scrolling through random apps, showing each other vines and memes. Out of everyone in the group apart from Ella, I related to Jeremiah the most.

"Country boyyyy." Jeremiah sang and I couldn't help but let out a laugh.

"Step the fuck up Kyle!" I said along with the vine and Jeremiah laughed loudly which made me laugh even more. Ella had joined in and was giggling quietly to herself.

"Guys shut up." Brendan snapped and we rolled our eyes, laughing quietly.

Brendan was acting distant and I didn't know if it was my fault and if I did something wrong the night before. Either way I needed to speak to him about it but not if he's in a bad mood.