《 SIXTEEN 》

《 The Grove 》

Taron and I walked side by side down the hill, Marcus trailing behind us.
I hadn't spoken to him and Taron had noticed the awkward silence between us.

Currently, he was distracting me by explaining Faerieland. It sounded wonderful the way he explained it. Beautiful sunsets and fascinating creatures.
He explained that most creatures in Faerieland would actually kill you, like Kelpies, nixies and pixies.

I listened intently, trying to find any connection from Faerieland to me. He explained the politics, that there were two courts, Summer and Winter.

I belonged to the Summer Court, a Summer Princess.
I could hear Marcus scoff every now and then as we walked.

The day turned into night and my mind was reeling with all this new information. "So what do you do when you greet the Queen?" Taron asked.

"Curtsy and address her by status" I replied quickly.

Taron smiled as we settled around the fire. "Good" he said.

"I'm going to go hunt" Marcus said, bored.

I turned to look at him as he walked into the trees. I sighed and looked down into the warmth of the flame. "You know he's just trying to protect you?" Taron said, stoking the fire with a branch.

"Protecting me requires kissing me?" I asked in disbelief.

"He's in love with you, what do you expect the man to do? Not stare at you and fight his urges to kiss you?" He asked, the flames creating shadows on his face.

I bit my lip. "Look, I know you're going through a rough time with not knowing who you really are, but don't push away the man who wants to be by your side" Taron continued before laying back.

He gazed up at the stars. "You never know when he'll give up and just walk away" he replied, a sound of pain in his voice.

"Sounds like you know how that feels" I replied, turning my head to look at him.

Taron stayed silent. Sighing, I fell back and turned my face to the stars. I had started to draw constellations when Marcus appeared out of the trees silently. I watched him crouch at the edge and stare out over the grassy field.

He picked up something.. a leaf? A rock? And tucked it into his pocket. I looked away when he looked over at us.
I closed my eyes and fell asleep.

"Diana, c'mon, we don't have far" a voice said, shaking me awake.

I bolted upright, dreams of vampires and faeries falling from my mind. "I'm up" I exclaimed.

"We can see that" Marcus replied monotoned.

I glanced over at him and he was perched on a rock, staring at me. "You didn't sleep?" I asked, confused.

"I'm a vampire Diana, we don't sleep" he replied coldly.

He then stood up and walked away. I glanced at Taron who glanced at me, a sad expression on his face.
"It's not far to the Grove, you'll be in Faerieland soon" he said, trying to cheer me up.

I smiled at me but when I turned away, my smile faded.

I packed my bag again and hoisted it onto my back. Taron helped me stand and we started walking, following Marcus. "What's wrong with him?" I asked, studying his back.

"Guess there's only so many times he can take no for an answer, his elders aren't happy with him and you're not happy with him, I think that sums up his life at the moment" Taron replied, studying him too.