《 THIRTY-FIVE 》

《 Secret Meeting 》

"Hey, someone wants to speak with you" Austin said, his voice cutting through my daydream.

I looked over at him and he smiled gently. "Who?" I asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Just follow me and promise me you won't overreact" he said, sternly before smiling.

"What are you talking about?" I asked confused.

"Just follow me" he said again.

Sighing, I stood up and followed him. He took my hand, guiding away me from the throne room and into the hallway "Where are we going?" I asked before giving a nervous chuckle.

Austin stopped in front of a wooden door. "Now, don't overreact, just talk to him" he said quickly before opening the door and pushing me gently inside.

"Wha-" I was cut off as he pushed me and closed the door.

I stared at the door in disbelief before turning around and freezing. "Diana" Marcus said, standing up.

The blood in my veins seemed to go cold. "What are you still doing here? I banished you" I rasped out.

A guilty look crossed his face. "I'm leaving as soon as we are done here" he said, walking over to me slowly.

"Stop" I said, making him stop seven metres away.

"Well we're done here, so you can leave now" I said, crossing my arms.

Marcus looked down at his hands, fiddling with them. "The Fae would never believe you strong enough to be Queen if I didn't remove myself from the equation" Marcus finally said after a moment of silence.

I didn't even know I had been crying until I felt it fall onto my cheek. I brushed it away hastily. "I don't want to hear it" I replied, turning away from him.

"Diana, please" Marcus begged.

I felt him touch my elbow, pulling me around to face him. "I just want to say goodbye to you" he whispered.

I looked up, his face inches from mine. "You betrayed me" I croaked out.

He shook his head and grasped my chin in his grip, lightly. "I would never, I love you too much" he replied.

My breath caught. "I'm a vampire and although I hate it, your mother has always been right, I'm not the person for you" he said as if he didn't want to believe it himself.

"Don't you think I should have got the cane to decide that myself?" I asked, suddenly angry.

"You did, leaving with Dorian" he replied.

Marcus caressed my cheek with his thumb. "Be careful Diana" he whispered.

I felt a sob rise up in me. "Don't leave" I replied.

His mouth thinned as if he was trying hard not to cry himself. "I will never leave you, but I must go from here" he said.

His strong arms pulled me into a hug, making me press my ear to his chest. I closed my eyes when I couldn't hear his heartbeat. "I love you Diana Greene, daughter of Queen Titania, sister to Taron Greene and rightful heir to the Faerieland throne" he whispered to me.

My mouth quirked up before I fell forward, feeling nothing but empty air.
Marcus was gone.

I sat down on the soft chair that decorated the room and turned to stare out the window. The trees swayed back and forth, dancing to their own music.

I heard a knock and turned my head to see Austin open the door and poke his head in. "Are you okay?" He asked, worry creased across his forehead.

I nodded and he moved into the room. "Thank you Austin" I said, meaning it.