Chapter 4 Daric and Primrose

Primrose's POV

Primrose's POV

I limp into the woods and move as quickly as I can over the uneven ground. A twig snaps nearby and I jump turning quickly I can see a small creature disappear into the undergrowth. Huffing I continue on my way, Stupid! The Warriors aren't even in the woods yet, this has always been my problem. I've always been timid and scared, that's what made Perry reject me and now I'm losing time by being startled by my own shadow, I scold myself. Even when we were small I didn't like to run around with the others in the woods near our pack house. Instead I preferred to read quietly in my room.

I have to admit there was always something wrong with Perry; he was cruel even as a child. He was two years older than me but I can remember him bullying me and some of the other children. But since he rejected me and the abuse increased I have become more frightened, more broken.

With more determination I move through the woods, I need to put as much distance between myself and those Warriors as possible. Suddenly my knee gives out and I fall, I manage to get my hands out in front of me but I can feel something twist in my knee, all the healing over the last few days is undone with one stupid mistake.

In the distance the Klaxon sounds and the howls of the male wolves sound in the air. Goddess has it already been one hour, I've only covered a few miles, I really am pathetic. Letting out a sob I push myself even harder, but the pain from my damaged knee is so bad that I just want curl up in a corner a cry.

Hearing water in the distance I realise that there is a stream or a river up ahead. Crying out in happiness, perhaps I could cover my scent. It's not far I can tell. I reach it in no more than two minutes and jump straight in and begin wading through the water. How long has it been? The Warriors will have been able to cover this distance in mere minutes; I need to find somewhere to hide.

Allowing the flow of the water to help me I travel downstream before scrambling up the bank, hoping that I have done enough to cover my scent. Spotting a fairly sturdy looking tree I hobble over and start to climb. Unfortunately as well as being in pain I am now soaking wet and freezing. Shivering in the frigid winter air I huddle in the tree. Foliage is basically non-existent at this time of year, but this is best I can do. I close my eyes and try to rest for a few minutes and catch my breath.

****

I start awake, I've fallen asleep again, what is the matter with me, this is life or death and I'm napping! Looking around I can see that night is falling, I've been in this tree for hours, I can't believe I've evaded the Warriors for so long.

But I've spoken too soon, a werewolf emerges below, he's following a scent. With sinking realisation it becomes clear that despite my efforts and dunk in the water, the scent he's following is mine.

I hold my breath; maybe he won't realize I've climbed the tree. As though he heard my thoughts, the wolf lifts his head and looks directly at me. Throwing back his powerful head he howls in triumph, and then he rears back onto his hind legs and leans his front paws against the tree. He wags his tail and his tongue lolls out of jaw, for a moment I might actually forget that he is a killer but instead he looks like an overeager puppy.