Chapter 10 Thane and Fern

Fern's POV

Fern's POV

I approached the small stream cautiously, you could never be too careful; after all we were being held in this Arena by threat of execution, otherwise why the hell would we stay? Pausing I crouched down and listened, I couldn't hear anything out of the ordinary and so moved toward the stream intending to quench my thirst.

When I was replete I rolled on my back and watched the weak sunlight through the tree cover over my head. The weather had been abysmal ever since we set foot in these cursed woods. I suppose I could be grateful that at least it had stopped raining and there was some sunlight to see by. In the winter the days were short and the nights long, and freezing. It was impossible to keep warm in this place, my clothes were constantly damp, I couldn't shift into my wolf to help the situation and so I had been cold from the first day.

While I lay on the hard ground my stomach growled and gurgled reminding me that I hadn't eaten in the last day and a half, as though I needed reminding. Despite being a fair tracker I had found it hard to catch enough food, there simply wasn't enough small game in this area out at this time of year.

Even when I managed to catch something, I hadn't dared start a fire for fear of giving away my position. I had seen smoke occasionally and had scouted the area. The Warriors appear to set up a camp and have a campfire going throughout the day and night. I found myself thinking longingly of a fire, something to keep me warm at night and to cook my meagre catch.

Although I hadn't been able to complete my training to be a pack tracker due to my mate's rejection I had been top of the class in our prep course. Up until the day Ben had rejected me everyone had told me that I had a natural talent for tracking. After that day I was suddenly useless, had no aptitude and couldn't continue in the programme.

I loved the tracking classes we were encouraged to take before joining the official training programme. They taught us all sort of useful skills including how to make simple traps, foraging for food in different environments and even how to fish. My dad had taught me lots of additional skills that none of the others had been exposed too. He was a brilliant tracker himself and wanted to teach me all that he knew. He was determined that I would be top in the class when I joined. Fortunately I had excelled at all my training and had learned as much as I could.

Dad's disappointment at my rejection was palpable. I saw all of his hopes crumble on that day. He had never been particularly talkative before, but after that day he hardly ever spoke to me. He left the house early in the morning and returned late at night. The only way I knew he'd been there was the fact that the food that I cooked disappeared every day.

I had used what I had learnt from my dad to successfully avoid the Warriors and catch just about enough food. Avoiding the Warriors had been surprisingly easy. There was one who was generally close by but I have long since learnt to move around without leaving any tracks for him to follow.

I was still hungry but had managed to gather enough food to survive; I had set up several traps around the Arena and even caught some fish. I found the Warrior camp after a few days in the Arena and watched it carefully. I knew that some of the women were already in the camp, I had heard both Primrose and Senna screaming at different times but I had never actually seen them when I made my sporadic visits to keep an eye on things. Honestly I had hoped to be able to do something for my friends, but was disheartened to see so many Warriors at the camp. Even though I was quiet and good at keeping hidden I had no idea how I would get into the camp and sneak them out without being seen.