Mikey x Reader: AU

A/N: So I haven't really had much inspiration for anything lately so I figured I would AU and use the creativity from that to be able to update. AU isn't going to be a thing I do often (hopefully, unless you like them) but I'm hoping it will help my creative juices get flowing again. This may be a bit rough because I suck at Mikey but enjoy!

"Are you sure it's okay for me to be out here?" You asked hesitantly, peeking out of the door. The coast looked clear enough, no sign of the horrifying disaster that you were waiting for. It would happen, you were sure.

"Y/n, it's fine. I told you that they'd all love you." Mikey grinned at you in that way that had your heart melting, the fuzzy feeling that consumed you whenever you were around him. Happiness. Pure bliss at his brilliant, goofy smile.

He had been so sure about everything this entire time, and you wished you could be more like him. Always so carefree and smiling at everything. Nothing ever seemed to burden him no matter how bad it appeared to be.

But he was like them.

You were not.

A mutant, that is.

They were everywhere. The entire human race was rare. You were sure there were less than a hundred of you in existence, though the numbers weren't exactly exact. Most humans were mutated long ago, and there was a small number of humanity left, known as the Order of the Ancients.

Strange name, but the humans in the inner circle were unknown and mysterious. So it fit in a way.

"They hate humans." You said dubiously, but stepped out behind the door into the open anyways. No one was around yet. It was empty. You knew you actually had to go with him to the event, because it was important. But going to a famous mutant party? Full of creatures of all sorts, gorgeous models and actresses? They would look at you funny.

You weren't even an entirely insecure person.

Especially when you were around Mikey.

You knew your boyfriend loved you, but the relationship you two had over the past few months was extremely classified information. Only his brothers knew about it. They were in a famous boy band. The Ninja Turtles. Or, the full name, the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Everyone knew them as TMNT though.

"Yes, but you're with me! C'mon!" The orange clad turtle grinned at you, grabbing your wrist and yanking you with him.

"Mikey!"

He didn't understand. As the closer you got to the end of the hallway the more you felt the acid in your stomach bubbling. You couldn't do this. They hated humans as it was - for whatever reason - and you dating a famous mutant would only make you even more of an object of hate. Mikey looked so happy as he tugged you behind him towards your certain demise.

"No, Mikey. I really don't think this is a good idea.." You began, and continued to string along sentences of protest. All of which were deaf upon Mikey's ears.

"Hey everyone! It's the one and only Michelangelooo!" He always made loud entrances, too. "Booyakasha!"

"Booyaka-" Everyone began to cheer with him as they always did, until they spotted you behind him.

Silence filled the room, and the back of Mikey's shell almost became your best friend to hide behind until he stepped aside and looked at you, a childish grin on his face. The way his lips were curved up into pure delight and the sparkling blue of his eyes had you pushing any thoughts of making a break for it.

"Everyone," He said, as if everyone was about to warmly welcome you instead of stare at you awkwardly or glare daggers into your face, "this is Y/n. My girlfriend.  She's the coolest girl I know!"

Mumbled greetings and uncomfortable half-waves were sent your way in greeting.

"Hey Y/n!" Pushing through the crowd was Leonardo, Mikey's older brother and the 'leader' of the group. The main singer. The cool and collected one that many girls adored. "You made it!"

"Oh wow, I didn't think you'd actually do it!" Behind him was Raphael, the temperamental tsundere. Everyone thought he was a jerk and a lot of girls were in love with him because of his bad boy reputation. But you knew otherwise. He was a big softie.

"Leo! Raph!" Mikey grinned. "She is here!"

The muscles in your shoulders relaxed a little, easing some of the weight off of them at the sight of the two. No matter what, they had always welcomed you. Even Raphael, who had been a little bit cold towards you when you first met him, had never made you feel like he hated you or didn't want you around. He just kind of ignored you.

"Yeah, I'm here." You smiled and moved away from Mikey to offer the two hugs. Each squeezed you tightly, whispering words of encouragement to you. Even though Mikey didn't seem to understand your anxiety about it all, they did. And they wanted you to know that they supported you. And that, more than anything, made you feel better.

They were your family.

"Is that Y/n?" Donnie was fumbling with a guitar string, likely fixing up an old, damaged guitar again to make it play beautiful music like he always did. He was the geek of the group. The nerd. And he was just as loved as the rest of them.

And not just by geeky girls.

"Hi Donnie!" You waved, relaxing a little more each second that passed. It was getting a little easier to ignore the stares burning holes into your shirt. The rope that had been suffocating your lungs was slowly loosening it's grip, allowing you to breath better than before.

That's right.

You were with Mikey, a famous drummer, and most importantly your best friend. He made you laugh and he was always there for you and he was sweet. Who cared what everyone else thought? They were mutants and you were human, sure. But they weren't all the same either other than being mutated. Who was to say you weren't some form of a mutant as well?

"Thanks for bringing me, Mikey." You tiptoed and planted a kiss to his cheek. "It means a lot that you would want me here."

"Huh?" Mikey blinked and looked down at you. "Of course I want you here, dudette." He broke into that infectious grin again. "You're my girlfriend. I wanted everyone to get to see just how special you are!" You two stared into each other's eyes for a moment.

He leaned in and you nearly began to count the freckles on his cheeks. Under his orange mask. He was just too adorable. Your eyes started to close and you leaned in to meet him for the kiss.

"Who wants cake?!" The turtles manager and father, Splinter, called out. He gave the two of you a sharp look when you two jumped apart before being able to kiss and both of your cheeks burned red.

"Me!" Mikey got over it fairly quickly, but you felt embarrassed.

"Awe, cheated on with cake. Don't worry, I'll make you feel better, Y/n." Raph teased, only to yelp. "Hey!"

It was Mikey.

He had thrown a drumstick straight at Raph's head without even looking at him, eyes glued to the cake. "Stay away from my girlfriend!"

You smiled and giggled. Mikey truly was a sweetheart. Why had you been so nervous to begin with when he was always there for you, protecting you and loving you?

A/N: This is unedited so it's 100% likely that there are some grammar mistakes etc.