/2/

Adeline Rae
August 21

I walked into school with my brown shoulder bag hanging off the side of the right side of my shoulder. To be fair, I never was one to ever walk into school feeling confident.  My outfit for today is black leggings, plain white sweatshirt and white high top converse. 

Currently, I was at my locker getting all the textbooks that were needed for my morning periods. Soon, my locker door shut and I jumped in surprise.  Eve. 

"Good morning, Eve" I politely greet.

"Good morning, Adeline" she smiles sweetly to me. 

We started walking towards our first class.  Eve and I had all our classes together, thankfully. I'd have no idea what to do without her.  She's my rock. 

"How was your weekend?" I asked.

"Good, I went to a party. What about you?" she responds then looks at me.

"Same old, same old" I shrugged.

"A, you have to start interacting more. Locking yourself inside your bedroom is not gonna help" Eve explained. 

Eve's nickname for me is A. My nickname for her is E. It's typical.

"It helps me since I'm socially awkward" I tell her as we sat down in the back of the class.

"That's why, you have your super cool best friend here to help. This weekend, we're going to party" she confidently spoke. 

"Good luck just getting me out of bed" I roll my eyes playfully at her.

Eve smirked, "challenge excepted, sweetheart."  The school bell rung and students started flooding into the classroom.  Of course, the last group of people to enter the class were the "popular crew." Once again, laughing and causing a ruckus. 

But then we have the two love birds.  Zach Herron and Emily Smith.  I'm not a believer in love.  People act like love is the best thing in the entire world. That it's all sunshines, rainbows and happy unicorns.  To me, love is broken hearts. Where you have to deal with arguments and fights. It sucks because you actually have to have faith and trust in one another.

But honestly, that person could really be cheating on you then what...you get your heart broken.  Love is a series of disappointments.  It's just my opinion though. 

Eventually, our teacher, Mr. Jones walked into the classroom with his black work bag and a starbucks coffee cup in the left hand.  "Good morning, students" he greets as he sets down everything on his desk and finally gives his full attention to us. 

I'm one to always focus in class and currently, from my past three years in high school. I got straight A's. 

My brother was in this class as well but right now he seems busy talking to Zach.  Grayson is way too social.  We're opposites.  Honestly, Grayson should pay attention because this is one of his many classes that he's failing. How on earth is he gonna graduate? 

Ever since I was little, I never followed in Grayson's steps as he grew older but instead, I followed in Caden's steps. 

My attention was kept on Grayson and Zach. Could they be any louder?  Hard part is the teacher just lets it slip by. But when anyone else talks, detention happens.  Eventually, my focus was set on what the teacher was talking about. It helped a whole lot now that the two boys finished their conversation. 

About forty five minutes passed and the school bell rung. Everyone quickly shoved their books and pens into their backpacks or bags then flooded into the chaotic hallway.  "Ms. Brooks" Mr. Jones called my name as I was about to walk out the door. My body stopped and started walking towards him. 

"Yes, Mr. Jones?" I ask, scared it could be something bad.

"I just want to tell you that you are the top student in all your classes. The principal wanted me to tell you. Also, please report to the office. There are more exciting news for you. Congratulations" Mr. Jones smiled genuinely to me.

"Thank you" I smiled sweetly to him then turned around and walked out the classroom.

Quickly, I was greeted by Eve.  "What happened?" she asks, her head tilting to the side in curiosity.

  "I'm the top student in all my classes!" I excitedly share the news and she squeals in excitement as well.

"Anything else?" Eve asks. 

"He said to go to the principals office and apparently there's more exciting news" I tell her and immediately she takes hold of my hand then begins to drag me down the hallway to the main office. 

Soon, we entered and we were the only students in but someone was in the nurses office with an ice pack on their arm.

"Good morning, Ms. Brooks and Ms. Diaz" our principal, Mrs. Anderson greets.

"Good morning" me and Eve say at the same time.

"I believe that Mr. Jones gave you the message. Congratulations on being top of all your classes" Mrs. Anderson smiles.

"Thank you" I repeat what I said to Mr. Jones. 

"Your exciting news is that four amazing colleges have heard about you and want you to attend their school next year" the older women spoke. 

My eyes went wide and I could tell Eve's did as well. A smile appearing on both our faces.

"Oh my goodness, A! You did it! Congratulations!" Eve started jumping up and down excitedly. 

Something came across my mind though.  What about Eve?  We always dreamed of being college girls together. For crying out loud, she's been my best friend since preschool. 

"Addy, aren't you happy?" my best friend snaps me out of my thoughts.

"Mhm? What, oh yeah!" I started jumping up and down and putting my fake mask on.  Happiness is fake mask. 

"Congratulations, Adeline" Mrs. Anderson smiles then begins to walk back to her office to continue her work.  Throughout the entire school day and even after. My mind was kept on college and Eve.  That's one of my worst fears. Losing Eve. 

We've been best friends for like fifteen years. We have never had any arguments or problems in our friendship.  What would I do without her?

Word count: 1024