"Struggles"

".....yea im doing pretty good. I mean you know im not the bestttt. But ! Im doing good . So you can't even be mad."

I was on the phone with my brother. Telling him lies that I was doing good in school just so I could make him feel better and so he could not have another thing to stress and worry about.

"JUSTICE!"

"I gotta go ohkay its dad again. I love you and can't wait to see you again!" I said trying to push him off the phone

"Justice be real wit me . Is dad putting his hands on you still? " his voice serious

"No. I love you. Bye." I said and threw my phone down.

"JUSTICE! I know you hear me ! " he yelled but his words turning into a slur .

"Yea dad ?" I said yelling through the door.

"You don't talk to me through a damn door ! You come talk me the right way!" He slurred.

So I got up and walked in to the kitchen where he was leaned over the cabinet with a half empty Hennessy bottle and some residue of cocaine around his nose and on his shirt.

"Yea dad" I said trying to hold back tears and anger .

" now where were you last night when I called you for the run?" He asked.

"In bed. I had school." I said

Ever since my dad got out the military my dad had a bad drinking problem I never remember him as a nice person. Then my mom died and it got worse from there . I was 6 and my brother was 10 . Every night my dad woke us up at 12:00 midnight yelling at us with military commands making us run up and down the street until 1 am. His mind is so wacked and messed up from the military and it has gotten worse.

"HEY DO YOU HEAR ME!?" He yelled .

"Yea dad... I was sleep I had a big tes-" I tried to finish before I realized I was on the floor holding my face as tears rolled .

"I dont care what you had to do. My commands come first." He slurred as he stumbled off in the darkness down the hall.
*************
".....ohkayy im getting ready. Im up. I won't be late . "

I repeated the same thing I always do every morning to my brother who FaceTimes me every morning to wake me up for school. But this morning not putting my face in the camera.

"Ohkay I need you to do the things I didn't in life. I love you I will check on you in a lil."

Then he hung up, and I continued to get ready I looked at my face. My whole right side was swollen and bruised. . I pulled my hair into a bun and went to hop in the shower .
***************
I grabbed my book Bag and walked out my room smashing my foot into the corner of the door. I quickly licked my finger and went down to check to see of my j's were straight. Every time my brother got a pair best believe a spare pair was getting sent to me . Everything he got I got. Simple.

"You better make it to school on time and be back home on time too. Don't report AWOL." He said sitting up in the den with a brand new Hennessy bottle.

I walked out and looked at my phone the time said 7:15 school started at 7:35 but that was the LAST stop on my list. I turned and walked in the opposite direction.
*****************
BOOM BOOM BOOM.

"How much you need? ........Jay? Come on. What made you come over here ?"

"Well I went to your house and knocked on your window but you wasn't home. So this the only other place i know you be at."

"Yeaa shawty but you just can't be popping up at a nigga work place like that ion want you in the trap. And if some happen to you yo brother gone be on my ass . "