Chapter Four

Chapter Four

"This is so good!" Rachel said a moment later, through cheeks crammed with food. Table manners would have to wait. She was far too hungry to be self-conscious. It had been too long since she'd had a home cooked meal. It beat her usual—a microwavable dinner or Ramen noodles.

Collin laughed, "I'm glad you enjoy it."

Rachel wrinkled her brow at him while taking another large bite. "Why aren't you eating?"

He scrunched his nose. "I don't like the food here."

Momentary paranoia made Rachel pause. "Is it poisoned?" Rachel glanced at the counter tops, checking for a can of window cleaner or some other toxin.

"No, it's not poisoned."

She avoided his amused gaze and sniffed the bit of egg on her fork. A plump of it landed on her plate with a soft thud.

As she took another bite, she asked, "What do you mean by here?"

"Where I'm from, food isn't bland like it is here. No, where I'm from, the warmth of the food fills your whole body and awakens your senses. It's exquisite."

"Wow. Sounds like you're remembering some things. Do you know where you're from?"

Collin frowned in thought. "No. How is it I remember the food but not the place?"

They exchanged pondering looks. The direct unwavering eye contact made Rachel hold her breath.

A knock banged against the door. Rachel tore her gaze away from the man across from her and eyed the front door.

"It's me!" called a high pitched female voice. "Come on, Ray, we're late!"

Collin rose, but Rachel was faster to act. She pushed him back down in his seat and scurried to greet her friend. With her hand on the knob, she turned her head to Collin. "Stay there," she ordered.

It took Rachel a few tries to shove the door open. Willow jumped back to avoid the swinging door. Rachel's attempt at grabbing it before it flew open, failed—leaving her awkwardly fumbling for the knob again.

"I thought you were going to meet me," Willow said, her tone whiney. "I sent you like a bazillion texts."

Heat pricked at Rachel's skin. "I...um...I was having car troubles."

"Well, that figures. Hey, why aren't you dressed? We have to go. Don't tell me you forgot."

Rachel pulled her lips together in a tight line.

Willow put a hand on her hip. "Are you kidding me?"

Rachel touched the fabric of her friend's long medieval gown. "I love what you're wearing..."

The red dress complimented Willow's creamy Asian complexion and molded to the upper half of her figure. Willow was about to maneuver her way into the trailer when Collin blocked her path. Being much shorter than Collin, the top of Willow's head came up to his ribcage. She stared wide-eyed at the mass of muscle in front of her face.

Rachel's mouth was hanging open as she watched in horror. She knew the assumption Willow was bound to make.

"Oh...my gosh," Willow said, now looking Collin in the eye. "It's a pleasure to meet you. Though I believe I've met you before."

Collin gave her his hand, and she eventually roused enough from her stupor to shake it. "You too!"

Rachel detected the fake charm Willow forced into her voice. "I didn't know Rachel had a boyfriend," Willow said to Collin while glancing judgmentally at Rachel.

Rachel put her hands out in surrender, "I know this looks really bad, but...."

"No, no," Willow interrupted, backing away. "I'm not one to judge."

Rachel slapped her palm against her forehead. "It's seriously not like that," she gestured to Collin's shirtless body.

He caught on and said, "Yeah, the shirt she gave me didn't fit my arms." His expression was total innocence as he flexed his shoulders and biceps to prove his point.

Both girls' mouths were hanging open. Willow continued to back away and waved. "I'll just be going now," she mumbled.

Rachel elbowed Collin to move, but when he stood there motionless she used a bit more force. One of his feet stumbled a little, and that was all she needed to get past him.

"I told you to stay at the table!" she yelled, giving him a hateful look.

Then she ran off the porch and caught Willow by her arm. "I'm so sorry I forgot! Collin...well, he...."

She breathed out an exasperated sigh. "He showed up last night and doesn't know where he's from. He needed a place to stay, that's all. I was going to take him to the hospital or Matt's or something, but he fell asleep on my couch. You've seen him. It'd be like trying to move a boulder."

​"What the heck? Why is he still here then?"

Rachel blinked a few times before glancing over her shoulder at him. He still stood in the doorway—his abs like rolling hills, and blonde hair falling in waves to the end of his neck. His hairless chest was even more beautiful in the light.

"My truck wouldn't run," she finally stated, steering her gaze away from the power-exuding highlander.

One of Willow's thin brows quirked up.

"What? I'm serious."

Willow pointed her thumb in the direction of her silver PT Cruiser. "Then he's coming with us. We can take my car. We don't have time to drop him off someplace though. He'll just have to tag along."

Rachel made a face. "He doesn't have clothes."

Willow chuckled, "I don't think that'll be a problem. We can get him something there, maybe."

"Does he have to come?"

"As long as he doesn't rape and murder us, yeah, he can come."

Rachel groaned, her shoulders sagging in defeat. "Which do you prefer—pepper spray or a Taser?" she moaned in a weary voice.