Chapter Twenty-Four

Chapter Twenty-Four

Rachel visited Mike in the hospital almost every day for a week. It wasn't because she knew he'd do the same for her. Even if he wouldn't have, she wanted to be there. He was healing oddly well and was restless with energy during most of her visits. He didn't want to watch TV, read, play cards, or even talk for that matter. He just wanted to get home. This behavior frustrated Rachel, and she would often storm off, threatening to turn on Spanish soap operas and hide the remote. They were used to each other. It was a sort of old pair of shoes feeling for Rachel. It was comfortable in that unique way only long term relationships are.

"I saw your Facebook relationship status," Mike said one afternoon while picking through a plastic cup of applesauce. His dark eyes scanned hers, as if waiting for her to protest.

"Oh?" was all she had to say about that.

Collin had gotten tech savvy during the week and had cyber stalked every social media profile Rachel owned. He'd followed her wedding board on Pinterest, which made her slightly embarrassed that he'd discovered it. He'd added her on Facebook, and requested Rachel as 'in a relationship'. After a long talk with him about her past and how she didn't feel worthy of him, she had accepted. Collin informed her that it was him who didn't feel worthy of her. He told her he loved her through every mistake she had made and would continue to do so.

He'd followed her on Twitter and favorited at least ten of her posts. He was her new best friend on Snapchat, and he liked every Instagram picture she posted. It was all a bit overwhelming. Collin already had lots of friends on Facebook, and his pictures were somehow getting more likes than most of Rachel's. Over 100 people clicked the like button on their relationship change, and they both were still sorting through the comments.

Not to mention, there had been a nonstop interrogation from Willow and Matt. Poor Collin was up to his elbows in questions that he vaguely avoided, and yet he still had to prove he was human enough to date their best friend. Willow and Matt always tolerated one another, but never had they shown such team work and unity as they did now.

While Rachel was lost in reflection, Mike completely caught Rachel off guard by placing a lingering kiss on her mouth. Neither of them moved, but Rachel let out a startled squeak.

When Mike broke the kiss and leaned back onto his pillow, his face was resigned. He knew he'd lost the fight for her long ago. Rachel stared at him, trying to make sense of what just happened.

He sighed, "Don't worry. I'm not going to be 'that guy'who breaks up the new couple." His gaze was suddenly hopeful when he glanced her way. "Am I?"

"No..." Rachel replied, still dazed.

Mike frowned. "Well, at least tell me how that was for you."

It was Rachel's turn to frown. "It was familiar and... warm."

Mike's brow shot up. "Familiar and warm? That's the best I can do?"

She shrugged a helpless shoulder. "What was it like for you?"

Mike bit his lip in consideration. Then he looked at her and rubbed the back of his neck. "Familiar and warm."

A small uncontrollable smile curved Rachel's lips. The two chuckled at the same time. It was an awkward, uneasy laughter.

Mike's eyes were filled with tenderness when he held her fingers in his and said, "I'm okay with us not being right for each other. These things happen."

Rachel nodded slowly. "I'm okay with it too, I think. We were good for each other while it lasted."

Mike raised a challenging brow.