Chapter Twenty-Five

Chapter Twenty-Five

"I don't like the way men stare at you," Collin said lazily, snuggling closer to Rachel on her duct taped couch. They'd just finished Ramen noodles for dinner, and they were now drinking root beer and watching old Spider Man movies.

Rachel's red hair shimmered in the dim light, showing tints of purple. She twisted around so she could look Collin in the eyes. "Are you serious?" she asked, her tone sarcastic and full of unbelief.

Collin touched his nose to hers briefly, barely able to keep himself from kissing her. "I'm dead serious."

"Men don't look at me! And if they do, it's because I have food on my face, or my jeans are too tight."

Collin raised an eye brow, already knowing he would win this fight. "Mike looks at you. He kissed you, didn't he?"

Rachel sighed, growing tired of this conversation and half wishing she hadn't told Collin about that. He hadn't reacted very surprised, as if he expected all men to go around kissing his girlfriend because she was the image of perfection. That's what his expression had said, but Rachel highly doubted she was the image of perfection.

Collin had asked a few simple questions, and then he'd dropped the subject. He'd asked if she kissed him back. He'd asked if things were resolved. He'd asked if she wanted him to talk to Mike, to which she hastily responded, "Noooo."

"That's different," Rachel said. "It's Mike. He's not exactly the best example."

"Fine. But the way those guys looked at you at church today..." he shook his head, not finishing the sentence.

Rachel felt flattered, but thought he must be mistaken.

"I don't know what you're talking about."

Collin didn't make eye contact when he muttered, "Maybe you shouldn't have worn that dress."

Rachel made a sound of shock. "You're the one who everyone looks at, believe me! Those stupid, pretty girls with their done-up hair and acne-free skin. Every one of them noticed you, even the ones with their latest boyfriends. It drives me crazy!"

She slumped back, out of his embrace. The duct tape squeaked under the movement. Collin's laughter made her blood run hotter, and not in a good way this time.

Rachel crossed her arms. "What?" she demanded.

"I can't believe you're jealous!" He laughed some more as if the idea was hilarious.

Rachel scoffed, giving him a dirty look. Then she got to her feet and stood over him, trying to intimidate him into being quiet.

Collin wiped a tear away and slowed his laughter to a mere chuckle. He tried to touch her hips, but she slapped his hands.

"It's not fun having to deal with every girl and their grandmother gawking at you!"

Collin forced the humor out of his expression with immense effort, but his eyes still held a sparkle of amusement.

"Rachel," he said solemnly. "The reason I find this so funny is because you seem scared I'll leave you for one of those fake, desperate girls." He waved a hand dismissively, making a face. "But I won't. You don't have to worry about that."

Rachel shifted her weight impatiently. "You make promises now, but I've heard it all! I've heard every promise a man can make to me, and they're all broken."

Collin drew a long breath. "The promises I make to you are different."

"How?"

"I don't lie," he said simply.