Chapter Twenty

Chapter Twenty

Being with Collin was like a fantasy. Rachel didn't even need to look perfect—which wasn't exactly possible anyway with her average good looks. She had tried to look pretty when she emerged from the bathroom, and Collin noticed her efforts. He gave her a smile that shook the walls of her being—if her being had walls, that is.

He had kissed one of her knuckles and said sincerely, "Well, don't you look beautiful." Rachel had blushed slightly, growing used to his compliments.

For breakfast there was a fruit bowl in the center of the dining room table. Rachel's side of the table also held a cup of hot coffee and a plate with two chocolate chip pancakes with peanut butter already spread on them.

Rachel excitedly grabbed the cup of coffee and inhaled. After a long sniff, she said, "I haven't had proper coffee in...."

"Since Wednesday four months ago at work?" Collin interjected.

Rachel sighed dreamily after taking a sip. She'd also have to get used to him knowing more about her life than she did.

"Nigel stopped paying for it because he said it wasn't in the budget." Rachel said with a slight trace of bitterness.

Collin steered her to her seat and sat across from her. "Actually," he said, "Nigel was dating a woman who was anti-caffeine at the time. I guess he still hasn't bought coffee for the employees because it reminds him of her. Nigel's actually loaded with money since his aunt died and left everything to him. That's how he pays his employees what he does."

Rachel glanced at him over the top of her mug. "That's deep. I didn't know you and my boss were bro's."

Collin chuckled and waved a dismissive hand. "Eat your food! You have to go soon."

"Oh, right." Rachel obliged and dug in to the pancakes.

"Care to answer a question or two?" she asked after a moment.

"If you answer mine," he countered.

"And what questions could you possibly have for me that you don't already know the answer to?" Rachel raised a challenging brow.

"You'd be surprised. But you asked first, so you ask the first question."

Rachel gulped a sip of the coffee, attempting to clear the peanut butter from her mouth. "Why are you here?" she asked, with some hesitation. Maybe she already knew the answer, or maybe she didn't. Nevertheless, she was curious.

Collin chewed on his lower lip before answering. "To win your heart."

Rachel leaned back in her seat, crossing her arms over her chest. Collin was grinning from one corner of his mouth.

"My turn," he said. "Why did you date Mike?"

Rachel, surprised, half-chuckled and half-scoffed. "Right. You know just about everything," she muttered under her breath.

Then a little louder she said, "Um, because I wanted to give him a chance."

"Come on, Ray. He's not even your type."

"Oh? And what is my type then, Mr. Know It All?"

Collin straightened his shoulders and puffed out his chest with confidence. "Me."

Rachel made that scoffing sound again. "How can you be so sure? Maybe I just like you because you're a good kisser."

Collin beamed. "I am?"

Rachel smiled to herself, knowing that just made his day. It was an odd feeling of accomplishment to know that she had made someone happy.

"You're changing the subject," Collin laughed, encouraging her to answer his previous question. "But, we will talk about the kissing thing later."