Chapter Five

Chapter Five

To say the car ride was awkward would be an understatement. Collin appeared at ease in the backseat, sitting there in all his shirtless glory. The roof nearly touched his head, and his knees were tucked up and scrunched sideways. He gazed out the window, a slight smile on his face.

Rachel thought about the way Collin had looked at her when she'd joined them outside. His entire face had lit up—lost its composure completely. His lips parted and his chest ceased rising for a moment like he was holding his breath. Those blue eyes of his had roamed the length of her. She'd blushed all over, feeling heat crawl down her back. He didn't look at her in a lustful way, mind you. He looked at her like she was the most beautiful woman he'd ever seen.

"You look beautiful," Collin had whispered to her when she neared him and Willow. The way he'd said it, the way his eyes invited her into their innocence, almost had her believing him.

Rachel now smoothed the blue skirt of her dress, wiping anxious sweat from her palms.

"You alright, Rachel?" he asked.

She swallowed. "Yeah. Why?"

A grin tugged at one side of his mouth, but he didn't answer. Rachel's brow went tight and her jaw set. Willow raised an eyebrow at her, but Rachel made a point to ignore her.

The small car fit between a large tree and someone's minivan. Upbeat tavern-like music could be heard already, even though they were still a short distance from the entrance to the festival.

Rachel was the first to step onto the dirt. She slammed the car door with a bit more vigor than necessary, her purse swinging. The autumn chill brushed the skin of her face and the partially exposed upper half of her cleavage. She glanced down at herself for the millionth time, wondering if the dress showed too much. She then patted down her hair in hopes that the wind wouldn't make it puff. Rachel was proud of the half up, half down style she'd put it in—with a braid, instead of just a ponytail.

"Stop worrying," Willow said, nudging Rachel's side with her elbow. "You look good."

Rachel gave her an unconvinced glance.

"I agree with that statement," Collin chimed in.

Rachel narrowed her eyes at him. He walked next to her, invading her personal bubble and nearly brushing his hand against hers. His height towered over her, and his expression was totally relaxed. Then he showed Rachel just how comfortable he was by draping one arm over her shoulders.

"Uh, no!" She squirmed away, moving his arm off and scurrying to the other side of Willow to use her as a barrier.

When Willow chuckled, Rachel slapped her friend in the gut.

"Dude, you're really something," Willow said, referring to Collin. "Did you know he opened the door for me? I mean who does that anymore? Or maybe the guys I date are just jerks..."

Rachel pressed her lips into a tight line.

Collin spoke up, "I would have gotten the door for you, too. But you seemed to be in a hurry."

It took Rachel a second to realize he was talking to her. She waved a dismissive hand in his direction. "No worries. Trust me, I can manage on my own."

Willow made a sound of disapproval.

"I trust that you can," Collin responded kindly in a quiet tone, as if unaware of her rudeness.

The music became clearer as they approached the line of little shops. In the distance they could see men in battle-ready armor preparing to fight before the appointed king and queen. The royal couple sat in ornate chairs and were escorted by a group of servants.

"Hey, look," Willow said. "They have horses this year."

Rachel grinned, "I bet the battle will be cool."

Collin placed himself on Rachel's other side, his body facing her. She glanced his way and winced a little when she saw his chest in front of her face.

"For goodness sake!" She shoved Willow to the right so there was an arm's length of space between her and Collin. "Put a shirt on already!"

"Chill," Willow interjected, while steering Collin to the nearest clothing merchant. Rachel let out a sigh. Lack of sleep was not in her favor.

A handful of musicians played old fashioned instruments, taking shade under a tall tree with colorful leaves. Children kicked a medieval-style ball around, while other people participated in archery contests or spear throwing.

"Well, it'll have to do," Rachel heard Willow say.

She turned to see Collin pulling a long sleeved, green shirt over his head. Gold stitching was embroidered on the bottom hem and along the neck. When he and Willow began walking toward Rachel, she noted the open V-neck of Collin's new shirt which exposed the defined muscles of his collarbone. It was then that she took notice of the girls giggling and whispering to one another as he passed. She rolled her eyes in disgust.

"Good enough?" Willow asked her. "It was the only thing in an extra-large...or maybe it was extra, extra-large. I don't know."

Rachel nodded, briefly looking at Collin's apparel. "It looks fine."

Collin fidgeted with his pants, "One quick question, ladies. Any chance I could get some underwear?"

The two girls locked gazes. Rachel was the first to blush, but Willow was quick to follow.

"Um...I'll let you do that on your own. If they even have any...." Willow handed him a wadded twenty-dollar bill.

He smiled at both of them. "Greatly appreciated."

The second he turned his back to them, Rachel palmed her face so hard it stung. Um..." she began, not knowing what else to say.

"Yup," Willow nodded, her dark eyes wide.

Rachel tilted her head, "That was..."

"Yup."

"Really awkward," she finished.

*more chapters to come within the week. The full book is finished. It's just a matter of posting it*