Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

"What do you mean?" she asked, when he didn't clarify.

"Just what I said. I'd like to take you out, Rachel...if you'll be so kind to allow me the honor."

Rachel stared in disbelief. She took a step closer to the line. "What's your deal? How do I know you?"

Collin remained still for a short time. Then he ran his fingers through his hair, pulling it away from his face. The strands defiantly fell back against his cheek bones, getting in his eyes again.

"Today when I went to buy underwear...well obviously, I could only find these tight...pants things. But in the pocket, I found this." He retrieved a piece of paper from behind his breastplate.

Rachel reached across the line and took the paper when he offered it to her. The blank paper felt unlike any paper she'd encountered before. Its texture was perfectly soft, like silk rather than paper.

"What's this?" she asked, turning it over.

"Read it."

Rachel rechecked both sides. "There's nothing on it," she said.

Collin frowned and looked at it for himself. "Right here it says, 'Kiss her hand and take her away, by winning the challenge.' It's right here." He turned the card on the apparent correct side, showing it to her.

Rachel squinted wondering if her contacts weren't working, or if Collin's brain injury was worse than she thought.

"When I read this, I had a really strong feeling it was about you." He inched a little closer to their line. "I had a flashback. I remember you. Or at least, I remember you saying that sometimes you wish things could be like the olden days. You said you wanted a guy to kiss your hand and ride away with you on horseback."

Rachel's jaw went slack. "How do you...." She shook her head. "I told Willow that. You weren't there. How do you know about that?"

Collin opened his mouth to speak, but shut it.

Rachel stood with her toes on the line. "Tell me!" she demanded.

Collin came closer, now only a couple feet from her. "I don't know. All I know is that I was there too. I think this letter helped me remember."

Rachel scoffed, "Well, now I know you're delusional. There's nothing on that paper!"

Collin made a face. "Letter or not, I remembered you. We do know each other."

"This is crazy! You're crazy."

Collin held out his hand. "Take my hand. Take my hand and tell me you don't remember touching me."

She held his gaze for a long moment.

"When you touched my shoulder after you found me, I was certain we knew each other. Don't tell me you didn't feel it," he said.

Rachel glanced at his hand, then back at him. "I don't have to prove anything," she spat out the words. Her expression was masked by stubbornness.

"Then you won't mind holding my hand. You could be right. Maybe I am just crazy," Collin said, his expression somehow even more stubborn than hers.

Rachel sighed through her teeth. She practically slapped her hand onto his. The rush of familiarity ran through them both.

Collin's battle shoes met the line, nearly bumping her toes. His height loomed above her, but his eyes were gentle.