Chapter 1

PART 1

CHAPTER 1:

I wake up and look at my alarm clock. It was Sunday. Only 7:30.

‘Good,’ I think to myself,’ Rue and Prim won’t be up for another hour’.

Rue is five years old. She has little blonde banana curls, light skin, and the same diamond eyes as my father. Primrose is 8 and has tanned olive skin, blue eyes, and jet- black hair. The perfect mixture of my parents. I look exactly the same as my mother. All of my features. Jet- black hair, olive skin, and those grey eyes that you can only find in the Seam of District 12. My name is Mac Kenzie Mellark. The eldest daughter of the victors of the 74th and 75th Hunger Games: Katniss Everdeen, and Peeta Mellark. Often, they were known as the ‘Star- crossed Lovers of District 12” back then. Their whole early relationship was public. Dad confessed his love to Mom during the interviews of the 74th Hunger Games. Their proposal was the interviews of the 75th Hunger Games. Mom was having a baby according to Dad… but it was an act. The baby thing, at least. Then towards the end of the 75th Hunger Games, also known as the last Quarter Quell, my mom started a rebellion. The second one in the history of Panem, the nation that I live in. After the war, the Hunger Games were done. So future generations would never need to give up their children to go on national TV. And fight to the death. I quickly brush my hair, leaving it in its straightened state flowing down to my hips, and change out of my pajamas. I put on a green shirt and pants, my grandpa’s hunting boots and coat, and plop down stairs. I skip into the kitchen, and see a horrible sight. My parents. Kissing. On the lips. Even though they’re both only 26, which is pretty young, I still think it’s gross when people kiss. I always have. Girls and boys kiss each other in school. Most of them are friends. But I can form a mask in which they can’t read my feelings, something I inherited from my mom, I guess.

 “EW!!!” I screech. “There’s LITTLE CHILDREN in this house too! What do you want to do?! TRAMATIZE them!?” I yell.

My parents stop kissing, Dad combing his hair with his fingers, Mom hopping off her perch.

“Oh… um… hi… Mac Kenzie!” they both say almost at the same time.

 “Really? Really Mom? Really Dad? Ugh.” I say.

“Want some breakfast, Kenzie?” my dad asks.

Dad was a town kid, so he lived in a nice house and was always feed. Usually. His family was bakers. They owned the Mellark Bakery. But, Mom was a Seam girl. That’s where the miners of District 12 and their families live. People in the Seam usually represent coal: gray Seam eyes, black hair, and olive skin. Town People usually have light features: Blonde hair, blue eyes, light skin. Dad has a prose tic leg. A boy in the 74th Hunger Games cut off his real leg. Mom saved him. Dad made my favorite type of bread for breakfast: hearty, brown bread with fruit and nuts in it with melted butter on top. I take a big bite.

“This is really good, Dad. I can burn water! You need to teach Rue or Prim how to cook!!!” I say.

“Well, hopefully you can shoot a good arrow like Mom” he replies.

Mom is really good at archery. She kills everything usually in the eye—unless it’s a deer or a wild dog. Then she might shoot somewhere else.

“Well, we better get going. We need to stop by Uncle Haymitch’s place to drop off his… uh... juice! Ya. His juice.” Mom says nervously.

 “C’mon Mom. I know that “Uncle” Haymitch is an alcoholic. I can hear you guys! I’m pretty sneaky!” I say.

“You’re a lot like Rue! Well, the other Rue. Not your sister.” My dad says. “Well, let’s go. Let me do your hair. I don’t want it to get caught in anything while we’re hunting.” Mom says.

_____________________________________________________________________________

Author's Note: Here is the first REAL chapter 1... its exactly the same, though. I'll be doing chapter 2 right after this, so i hope that you like it!

Love, Mia