Chapter 4

CHAPTER FOUR:

“Haymitch!!! You must stay as sober as possible!!! Children are here, you know.” Effie scolds Haymitch.

“Ok, Ok. But you must stop being such a busy body!” Haymitch replies back.

I sneak down the stairs, and they keep nagging and nagging each other.

“Hey—you know that all of District 12 can probably hear you. You two sound like an old married couple!”  I say as I jump off the stairs.

“Mac Kenzie! You’ve gotten so big! You’re becoming as beautiful as your mother. Right, Haymitch?” Effie gushes as she pulls me in for an Effie gushes as she pulls me in for a big, pink, hug.

“Oh. Hi, Katniss” Haymitch says absently.

“I’m not Katniss!!! I’m Mac Kenzie—her daughter. Are you already drunk?” I ask Haymitch.

“Oh. Hi, Mac Kenzie” Haymitch says. He gives me a high five. “Where’s Peeta?” Haymitch asks.

“My dad’s in the kitchen. And yes, there is liquor.” I answer.

Mom comes down stairs with Rue in her arms. Prim is trailing right behind her.

“Effie! How are you?” Mom asks.

“Good, good. No big news, anyways. But I’m thinking of moving here.” Effie replies.

Mom seems worried yet surprised at the same time. That big, pink, woman with countless wigs confuses me. Why would she ever leave the Capitol? I think that I’m also starting to worry.

“Oh. Kenzie, Prim, Rue—go to the kitchen with Dad and Uncle Haymitch while Aunt Effie and I talk” Mom says.

I act like I go into the kitchen, but I go towards the door and outside. It’s cloudy but warm. It’s July, I’m guessing, since Effie and Haymitch usually come that month. Soon it’s going to be September… I’ll finally be able to go to the District school… have friends… and be able to learn about my parents… finally. I’ve been home-schooled since I was five. Finally, that will all change.