chapter 16

I take a back pack. I pack in it: dried food, money, ID, knife, coat, sleeping bag, change of clothes, brush, five bottles of water, purifiers, and two water skins. I have a pretty big back pack, but it’s light. I realize that I have my Mockingjay pin, so I bring that, too. Once I’m a safe distance from the city, I take out my map of Panem, and search for District 12 and 7.

I’m at the very edge of 7 and 9. I’ll need to go into the wilderness, or cut through the edge of 10. I’ve been to ten, and they don’t care about the security there, either. I can survive. It’ll probably take until September, but this will work, I hope. Maybe I'll take quicker! I put back the map, and I eat my last meal in District 7. It may be my last meal for days. I start to run, nonstop. I hear a wild animal around. I pull my bow, and shoot a small rabbit. I can't eat it raw, or else I might get Rabbit Fever. Now I’m only one twentyith the way there.  I can just run, and run, and run, and run. Adrelinine sets in. I  run faster, faster, faster, fast as my legs will carry me. I finally need to stop and take a drink. I ration everything, even my water. I decide to cook my rabbit. I skin it, gut it, and cook it.  I’ve rested for ten minutes. Too long. I’m up and junning again. Feet, go faster! We need to make it home. It’s lonely here, but I’m on my own.  I need to survive. Like Mom, except she got some help from Haymitch, Rue, and Dad. But I’m alone, and I can’t risk supporting for other people. Then I’m going to die. I need to come out half alive, at least. Just half. I need to make it, back to my old life.