chapter 13

CHAPTER THIRTEEN:

Effie comes into my room.

“It’s going to be a very big, big, big, day!” she reminds me.

“Yes, Effie. Thank you,” I reply

“You have such good manners, even better than the Capitol children I have met,” she beams. She adds a bright smile.

“How old is this lady, anyways?” I think to myself. I pull myself out of bed. I realize that Silver has already put and outfit out for me. It’s from my suitcase. I jump in the shower, and when I’m finished, I dry my hair. I quickly put on my outfit. It’s an evergreen sundress, black shoes, a matching hair ribbon, and hoop earrings. Luckily, they aren’t huge, as I expected. I leave my hair down, but I do use the ribbon as a type of headband. Dad taught me how to do this, of all people. But he’s pretty good at a lot of stuff, especially painting. I’ve seen all of his paintings inspired by that 74th Hunger Games. My favorite one is of Mom. She’s approaching him, surrounded by silver mist that matches her eyes. I can sort of understand his paintings, but not all of them. Like one of this dog, it has green eyes and blonde wavy hair, with a collar that has a bejeweled ‘1’ on it. Her lips are curled in a snarl. Well, I’ll understand better when I’m in the arena.

“Hey, you aren’t as bad at girly stuff as I thought,” says a voice. I turn around. Max.

“Max, you realize that in District 12, we have something called knocking. I could’ve been dancing or something!” I say. I really didn’t want to say naked, to give him any pranks.

“Ok, ok, let me walk out, I’ll knock, and then I’ll let you allow me in, ok?” Max asks with a nervous smile.

“Fine,” I agree. Max walks out, shuts the door, and knocks.

“Who is it?” I say in my best Capitol accent.

“The president. Kenzie, I just want to talk to you. Can I please come in?” Max begs.

“Ok, Mr. President!” I say with a laugh. Max walks in, and he’s wearing a green polo shirt and black pants. Did Grandmother send him a list, too?

Max sits on my bed, “Kenzie,” he starts, “what are you even doing in the arena?”

“Well, I asked my mom if I could go there to help improve on hunting skills. She can teach me everything. It might help you, too,” I answer.

“Now I get it. Let’s go,” Max says and stands up. He takes my hand, and then I realize how cold they are.

I’m usually cold, but I listen to Grandmother. She’s the one who picked out my name and everything, and she helps my parents with stuff, so that’s why. Plus she’s pretty old. But still beautiful.

Silver meets us, “Wow, Kenzie, you are pretty good at girly stuff! I was just going to go and see if you needed help! And nice job putting on pants, Max.” I laugh.

“Did he put them on wrong yesterday?” I ask giggling

“Yes. He messed up A LOT.  Well, let’s go see Mrs. Mellark and Effie, shall we?” Sometimes I really hate it when people call my mom “Mrs. Mellark”. She’s Katniss Everdeen Mellark, the Girl on Fire, the Mockingjay, and the girl who recreated an entire nation, who ended the Hunger Games for good. I just can’t get why people don’t call her “Katniss” more often. I guess that’s what Max calls her. We see Mom in a sundress, only half of it is white with pearls, and the other part is black with feathers. I’ve seen this dress before. My Mom’s wedding dress, decide by the Capitol. Mom’s old stylist, Cinna, was killed for setting the white dress with pearls on fire while Mom spun in it. It turned black with feathers, and had some white to represent a Mockingjay. That’s my favorite dress.

“Mom, I love your dress!”

“Thanks, Kenzie. You look beautiful, too.”

“Well, let’s get ready!” Effie says in her Capitol accent.

Seriously, how did people get that stupid accent? Effie sets us up in a line: First, Silver. Second, Effie. Third, Max. Fourth, Me. Fifth, Katniss. 

____________________________________________________________________________

sorry that the last chappie was short! so i hope that you like the story so far! i already got the epilouge done, i just need to update like, a lot of chapters... there's only 1 more part, but each part has 9 chapters. so please keep reading! thanks! 

love, Mia