Chapter 7

CHAPTER SEVEN:

The night goes quickly. Gale and Max stay much longer than Haymitch and Effie. Haymitch got drunk quite quickly. Actually, even before I took a bite out of my piece of bread.

“Wow!” I snicker to Prim.

“Yeah. I thought that he would’ve changed from fifteen years ago!” she replies.

“How do you know that the last Hunger Games was fifteen years ago?” I quickly whisper.

“I saw a promo of Mom’s. It was when Dad was crazy. He got hijacked. Aunt Prim found a way to reverse it,” Prim says

“Whoa. But really, how did you get all of that?!” I say in awe.

“Uh, maybe took a tour of my history book…” she replies nervously.

I start to laugh too loud. I get looks from everyone.

“Mom, should I help with the next course?” I ask.

“Ya. It should be ready right now,” she replies.

We get up at the same time and walk to the kitchen. Mom leans against the counter. “Kenzie, what’s really wrong?” Mom asks.

“Well, um…. I know that you kissed Gale and had a crush on him and wanted to marry him and run away to the woods and Dad was crazy and that you didn’t want to have kids because of the Hunger Games and I know about everything that happened.” I spit out.

“Oh. I’ll tell you about the full story in the woods. But what about Max? Do you like him?” Mom asks.

“Well, I guess he’s sort of cute. But he didn’t even know what the Seam is! And his dad is from District 12! That’s just crazy!” I joke.  

“Well, I think that you might need to show him”, replies Mom.

“Ya. You need to show me”, a voices says, and Max appears. I jump.

“How long have you been there?” I demand with a scowl.

“Well, I was here since ‘Well, I guess he’s sort of cute…’” Max mimics my voice. I storm out. Max follows me.

“What?” say harshly.

“I need to tell you something. Now shut up and listen.” Max replies.

“I wo-“ I start, but then Max cuts me off by kissing me on the lips.

I get a feeling, a weird one. Something is stirring in my chest, something that I’ve never experienced or expected to. I actually kiss back. I don’t know how I do it, I just followed what Max was doing. He finally breaks away, and looks down at me with his shining green eyes. He is at least three inches taller than me.

“Now that’s what I’ve been trying to tell you. Mac Kenzie, want to go out with me?” Max asks.

His face is soft, like my father’s when he talks to my mother and they don’t know. I really don’t know why Max wants to go out with me, unless we were friends when I was younger and my parents never told me.

“Yes.” Is all I have time to say before he pulls me in for a second kiss.