chapter 12

CHAPTER TWELVE:

Dinner is a blur of foods and laughter. I couldn’t really understand anybody; they just kept talking, except for Max, Mom, and me. I just sat there and drank my hot chocolate. If I were asked a question, I would just say “yes” or “no”. This train is scaring me, a bit. After dinner is over, we come to a stop. It must be to refuel or something.

“Mom, can we go outside?” I ask

“Sure, Kenzie.” Mom and I walk in silence, until the caboose is past us. I sit down.

“Mom, why was Dad a Career? I just think that was weird. Especially when it was Cato he was teaming up with,” I say.

“I really don’t know, but at least I got Dad and I home safely, twice. It’s going to be a long month,” Mom sighs.

“Should we go back? Im sort of tired. I just want to go straight to bed,” I say with a yawn.

“Ok. I’ll tell that to your grandmother,” Mom says, “I think that the train is ready, anyways. Let’s go!”

We run up to where we got out. I don’t even say goodnight to Max, I just go to my room, put on a night gown, and fall asleep. I have a dream. In it, I’m with my grandfather. He’s singing to the Mockingjays. He teaches me songs, and I copy them. We’re in the woods. I just keep singing after him. Why couldn’t I have met him? Why did he have to die in a coal mine from an explosion? But, I can’t change that. Mom already did by giving Seam people other jobs with better conditions. I just shake the thought of an exploding mine out of my head. It’s like seeing Dad hijacked: crazy, wrong, painful, and dangerous. I am a main character in all of the madness. My grandfather tries to turn around and run, but he’s blown into bits. His worried face, and There was nothing left of him. Then, I flash forward and see my grandmother, aunt, and mother. Aunt Prim looks so small, young and scared. Mom looks scared, worried, and so sad. Grandmother Everdeen just looks numb, and depressed. I wake up in a cold sweat, and just return to a dreamless sleep.