Chapter 6

CHAPTER SIX:

“Um… what are you doing here…?” I trail off. At least I’m armed.

“What’s your name?” Gale asks.

“What’s yours?” I counter.

“I’m Gale Hawthorne. This is my son, Maxwell. He’s twelve,” Gale replies.

“I’m Mac Kenzie. Mellark. My parents are Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark. Look, if you and your son are going to kill me, you better turn around and leave, cuz I’m not going down without a fight,” I state bravely.

“What?! Why would I do that? I just thought that I passed out because I thought you were Katniss,” Gale replies.

“Oh. Do you want to see her…?” I ask.

“Of course! I haven’t seen her since she was seventeen!” Gale says with a sparkle in his eyes.

“Um, follow me, I guess…” I say.

I see a squirrel. I shot it, barely missing Maxwell’s arm.

“Hey! What was that for?!” he yells.

“Shut up!” I whisper, “I’m getting a quick snack! It’s a long walk, you know.”

“Let’s just go,” Maxwell fires back.

“Ugh. Were you this annoying to my mom when you guys were younger?” I ask Gale.

“Sort of. But I was always older.” Gale says with a smile.

“You liked her. Didn’t you,” I say, not even bothering to make eye contact.

“Ya. I should’ve volunteered. Biggest mistake, probably. But everything happened for a reason. So I love life as it is. But I still hate the capitol. Always have, always will. So, how are your mom and dad?” Gale suddenly asks.

“Mom is same as always, she taught me how to hunt. Dad is the same. But Effie and Haymitch are over. So this house might be madness,” I answer quickly.

“Oh. I’ll just drop in and say hi,” Gale replies.

“Dad, why did we even come here?! It’s all dirty and gritty and dark. What do they mine in this district? Coal?” Maxwell complains.

“Ya. District 12, Einstein. We mine coal here. You should know. Your dad did,” I tell Max.

“Ok… don’t need to get mad!!!” he fires back.

“Well, we’re here. So shut up and leave me alone now,” I say with my ‘mask’ on. “Mom—I got a surprise for you!” I yell.

“Gale?! Is it really you???” Mom says in shock.

“Ya. I came to the Seam for time’s sake,” he replies nonchalantly.

“Hey Gale! How’s it going?” Dad says limping.

I need to help him come over.

“Dad, did you mess up your leg again?” I ask.

“I think so. Oh, well. We can fix it,” he replies.

I always wonder what happened to it. His leg, I mean.

“Peeta! What’s up??? I haven’t seen you since “Mocking Jay” over here killed Coin and you were crazy!” Gale says.

“Hahaha!!!” Dad laughs, “Good times, good times.”

I leave the room and change back into my dress. I am completely confused…