Chapter Nine: The Joker and The Riddler

(Bruce’s P.O.V)

                It has been three months since Carol gave us the information on her to us and we had heard nothing since. I was looking over the data from the drive and I spotted something that I hadn’t seen before. It was an encrypted file with the name Andy. I opened it and found it was password protected with a firewall the Pentagon would be proud of. “So what could be in this file Carol,” I asked myself.

        Secrets.

         A voice said. I sat up and looked around. “Alfred is that you,” I called.

I’m not Alfred. The voice said again.

         I stood up and looked at the security cameras and found that I was the only one in the Batcave. “It seems like I am losing my mind,” I muttered to myself.

         Don’t try to unlock my secrets Bruce. I gave them to you so you would protect them. So he could be protected. I froze and realized who it was.

        “Carol is that you,” I asked her. She laughed gently.

    You don’t have to talk out loud, least Alfred might think of getting you in a straight Jacket.

        “Master Bruce, who are you talking to,” Alfred asked.

   “Oh no one,” I told him as he gave me my dinner.

        “Are you still trying to find this girl Carol,” Alfred asked when he looked at my computer screen.

    “The whole League is and yet she just vanished with no leads,” I told him frustrated.

        “You’ll find her Master Bruce,” he said as he left the Batcave, “unless she finds you.”

                I have to go, talk to you later! With that, I was alone in my thoughts yet again. I sighed and sat back down. I saved the file and unplugged the drive for the computer. I was about to start eating my dinner when my phone rang. I glanced at the caller ID and saw it was Gordon. “What is it Gordon,” I asked when I answered the phone.

      “It’s the Joker he has broken out again,” his voice full of worry.

        “What was the last known location,” I said as I got into the Batmobile.

   “Around 1st and 3rd,” he said out of breath.

         “Gordon are you trying to run after him,” I asked slightly amused.         

                “Yeah,” he replied.

“Have your men get down to 5th street and barricade it. I am on my way,” I said as I started the Batmobile. I raced down the streets of Gotham and reached 1st and 5th in ten minutes. I got out of the Batmobile and strode toward Gordon, who was leaning against his police car.

         “Batman,” he said still breathing hard. “We found this note,” he said and handed me a crumpled piece of paper.

         “I can tell you all about history but I do not speak. I can take you into the past, but you will never leave the present. Who am I,” I read out loud.

         “We also just got news that the Riddler has escaped as well,” Gordon said with worry in his voice.

        “The Gotham Museum,” I said confusing him.

“What,” he asked.

         “A museum can tell you all about history but does not speak. It takes you into the past without you ever leaving the present,” I explained.

        “But why The Gotham Museum,” he said still puzzled.

    “They just announced a new artifact call the Greek Sphinx it is made of almost pure marble,” I said as I got back in the Batmobile.

         “Wait, what are you doing,” Gordon asked as he ran over.

“What does it look like I am doing,” I said as I shut the door and sped off to the museum.

(Angel’s P.O.V)

                I watched Batman from a nearby rooftop and laughed when Gordon asked Batman to explain. Batman got in the Batmobile and took off in a hurry. I ran after him but stayed out of sight as he sped on. It’s strange that nobody notices a girl running after a car or that the car is the Batmobile. He spun to a stop causing me to freeze in place. Batman got out and climbed on the roof of the museum trying to find a secret way in. I was glad I picked today to wear my black outfit. Since Dick had saw me three months ago I had changed my all too recognizable outfit. Now I had on a black leather jacket, with black pants and a pair of combat boots. I had made my short black hair to reach the center of my back with only a small thought. I crouched down to watch Batman descend into the museum. When I was sure no one would see me I slipped through the walls of the museum and watched as Batman took on the Joker and the Riddler. He easily took out the henchmen and had started fighting with the Riddler. It was a short fight ending with the Riddler knocked out and the Joker laughing. “Well, Batman it seems that is only between me and you,” he laughed and threw his head back.

        “Stand down Joker,” Batman said roughly.

                “Ah, but that wouldn’t be funny at all,” Joker said as he lunged at Batman. Batman blocked the Joker, but the Joker slipped a rather big knife out and stabbed Batman in the arm. Batman grunted and threw off the Joker then took out the knife. He tossed the knife aside and tried to punch the Joker in the face, but the Joker danced out of the way. “Oh, come on Batsy you can to better than that,” the Joker taunted. Batman narrowed his eyes and lunged at the Joker knocking him down but before Batman could knock him out the Joker threw him off. “Well, it seems that my time is running thin so let’s make this short,” The Joker said pulling out a gun. He fired and hit Batman square in the chest knocking him down. The Joker shot him again in the chest, but this time the bullet went through Batman’s armor and lunged into him. Batman cried out and clasped. “I am getting board of our game so it is game over,” the Joker said and he place the gun barrel on Batman’s temple. Before he could pull the trigger, I did something crazy; I came out of the shadows.

                “No,” I yelled.