Chapter Fourteen: Fragile

(Bruce’s P.O.V)

                Angel’s brain shut off and she slipped into a coma. “No,” I shouted, “No you can’t die Angel!” Superman had to restrain me. Since when did, I let my emotions control me so much? I asked myself but then I threw logic aside. Angel had become like a daughter to me from reading her files and knowing her for only three days. She was so much like me but was so much more innocent. Angel had fought to live for seven years just to fight for the world that had destroyed everything she loved. I shoved against Superman and now Wonder Women. “Let go of me,” I growled at them and fought to be beside Angel.

                “She’s gone Batman,” Superman said gently, “she’s gone.” For the first time since I was eight I felt tears welling up in my eyes. I shook my head and ended up shocking them both by crumpling to the ground. Why did I let her become her become so close? I covered my face with my hands trying to gain control of myself again. Then her mind came back to life once more and I scrambled to my feet. I rushed to her bedside, wide-eyed like a young child.

                “Batman,” she mumbled and I sat down next to her, taking her hand. I had taken her to the Justice League’s infirmary after I woke up from the scare gas. She was in bad shape and I don’t think it was from the scare gas. Man Hunter had told us her mind was filled with painful memories and the scare gas had caused her to remember something that broke her. Since then, her mind had brought up her worst memories causing her will to live to go out.

(Superman’s P.O.V)

I had been up in the watchtower when Batman phone for emergency transport for four. I instantly transported him to the watched tower only to find that he had Carol in his arms. “Why did you bring her here,” I shouted at him, “She’s a major threat to us and you just bring her up to her our HQ!” My shouts had caused most of the original members to rush over.

                Batman opened his mouth to reply, but a girl with flame colored hair answered first. “Angel is no threat to the Justice League,” the girl shouted, “She’s been fighting to protect you. Do you know what she has been through just to protect you guys, who didn’t even save her!” Her voice echoed throughout the room making everyone freeze in the reality of her words.

                “Superman we have to help her,” Batman whispered, his voice filled with emotion. I took a step back in shock. “Angel was trying to save me but got a lung full of scare gas,” he said sounding like he was going to break down and sob, “We gave her the antidote, but I think it caused a chain of reactions to occur.” Black Canary stepped forward to take Angel from him, but he refused to let her go. Wonder Women walked over to him and placed her hand on his shoulder.

                “Let Black Canary take her to the infirmary,” Wonder Women’s voice soft. Batman let Canary take her but followed close behind her. I followed them as well, if Angel snaps I was going to be there to stop her. Canary placed her on the bed and started working on her. Batman stood there in the corner his face was tight with worry. Man Hunter came in the room silently and stood next to Batman. He placed his hand on Batman’s shoulder, trying to comfort him, but Batman shook it off. Then Angel’s mind stopped working and shut off. Then all heck broke lose.

                “No,” Batman shouted and surged forward, “No you can’t die Angel!” I rushed forward and restrained him. Wonder Women joined me and both of us had to make sure he didn’t slip free. “Let me go,” he growled and shoved harshly against me. I shook my head and pushed him back.

                “She’s gone Batman,” I said gently as possible, “She’s gone.” Batman stopped fighting us and then crumpled to the ground on his knees. I stumbled back in shock and so did Wonder Women. Batman covered his face with his hands as tears streamed down his check. Both Wonder Women and Black Canary stepped forward to soothe him but then Angel’s mind started working again. Batman surged to his feet and was beside her in seconds. He sat down next to her and took her hand in his. Tears still streamed down his face.

                “The scare gas activated part of her memories that she had long forgotten,” Man Hunter told us, “This caused a chain reaction to occur and now she is remembering her worst memories.” What has she ever experienced that was so painful that just the memory of it nearly killed her? Maybe I had been wrong about her and Batman had been right. What if she was truly fighting for us and had escaped Cadmus just to protect her.

                “Batman,” she moaned in her sleep causing Batman to smile slightly while still crying. Then I saw the scar that was from her forehead to her jaw. It looked like it had been deep and it made her beautiful face to look haunting. “Daddy,” she whispered and Batman’s face broke out into a grin. I turned and left the room my heart was heavy with emotions.