Chapter Fifteen: Waking Up

(Angel’s P.O.V)

I was thrown into a heavy darkness with fragments of memories filling my mind. Memories that had long since been lost in my mind floated to the surface. Every test I ever had even the ones that I long forgotten burned into my mind. The pain I felt, the fear and how hopeless I had felt started tarring apart my mind. The walls that I had put up to keep from feeling the emotions that had long plagued me crumbled into dust. I just wanted to give in to the darkness and stop feeling the pain.

                After what felt like ages I stopped fighting and let go. I had found peace for only a short moment before something dragged me back to the pain. No! Let me go! I screamed in my mind, but I felt like I was being forced to live once more and I wanted to scream in frustration. Then a short memory flew into my thoughts. It was when I was fighting to protect Batman from the Joker. I hadn’t just been fighting for him because he was a part of the Justice League, I had been fighting because he had become like a father to me. Batman…….Daddy. Then I felt myself start drifting off into an uneasy sleep.

(Bruce’s P.O.V)

                I waited by Angel’s bedside while she slept. Many times she would start talking in her sleep and half the time I thought she had finally woken up. Most of the time Flame was there as well but after three days Wonder Women said that she should stay at the mountain and get to know the team. It took a lot of convincing, but she finally did and I stayed, waiting. Five days after Flame left Angel finally woke up. Her eyes fluttered open and she smiled when she saw me. “Hi Angel,” I said gently, “you’ve been asleep for a long time.” She looked around the room and I saw fear enter her eyes.

                “Where am I,” her voice filled with fear and she tried to get out of bed. I stood up and helped her and she clung on to me. “Am I back in Cadmus,” she said quietly. I knelt down and looked into her bright blue eyes.

                “I would never take you back to Cadmus,” I told her and hugged her. She berried her face into my chest. “I won’t let them hurt you again,” I said as I kissed the top of her head and picked her up. She whimpered at the sound of Cadmus. I sighed and sat down holding her. Then Superman walked in with a look of confusion on his face. “What do you need, Superman,” I asked him.

                He ran he hand through his hair and said, “Well, I was wondering if I could talk to Angel. Alone.” I stood up with her and narrow my eyes. “I just want to talk to her that’s all Batman,” he said with his hands up. I sighed and looked down at Angel. She still had her face buried in my chest, but she seemed calmer than before.

                “Fine,” I said, “Just be careful.” Superman nodded and held out his hands so I would give Angel over to him. “Angel,” I said to her and she looked up at me, “You’re going to go with Superman. Is that okay?” She glanced over at Superman then nodded. I handed her over to Superman and she ducked her head into his chest. He looked surprised and I walked out of the room to go to the command room. Someone had to make sure the world is still spinning. 

(Superman’s P.O.V)

                I was sitting in the Cafeteria trying to eat my food, but I was too troubled by that scar on Angel’s face. Who would do that to a little girl? I stood up and threw away my food, then headed toward the infirmary. I was about to walk in when I heard Angel’s voice. “Where am I,” her voice filled with fear, “Am I back in Cadmus?” I was shocked that she was actual afraid of Cadmus.

“I would never take you back to Cadmus,” Batman told her and she whimpered when she heard Cadmus. “I would never let them hurt you again,” his voice gentle. I decided to go inside and ask if I could talk to her.  Once I walked in Batman turned toward me and asked, “What do you need, Superman?” I ran my hand through my hair trying to think out what to say.

                “Well,” I said, “I was wondering if I could talk to Angel. Alone.” Batman stood up and narrowed his eyes. I held up my hands and said, “I just want to talk to her that’s all Batman.” He sighed and glanced down at Angel, who had her face buried into his chest.

                “Fine,” Batman said, “Just be careful.” I nodded and held out my hands to take her.  He looked down at Angel and said softly, “Angel?” She looked up at him and he smiled. “You’re going with Superman,” he’s voice gentle, “Is that okay?” She glanced over at me then nodded. He then handed her to me and she ducked her head into my chest surprising me. Batman sighed then left leaving me with Angel. I sat down on the bed looking down at her.

                “Angel, do you trust me,” I asked and she looked up at me. Her blue eyes held so much sadness that I couldn’t help but hug her. She giggled and nodded while I still had her in an embrace. I smiled then said, “Then can you tell me what Cadmus was planning to do with you?” She stiffened but relaxed almost instantly. I pulled away to look her in the face. She had tears in her eyes and I felt bad for asking.

                “It wasn’t just Cadmus who had plans for me,” her voice sad, “my parents had planned for me to take down the Justice League since before I was born.” I almost fell backwards in shock. Why would her parents want that for their child? “I had a twin brother who was supposed to be the strength while I was the brains,” her voice breaking, “but they did a test on me when I was five and I forgot everything. I’m not even sure if my parents are really died or they fake their deaths.” Tears started streaming down her cheeks and I hugged her tightly again. “I also found out that, that I might be related to Lex Luther,” she stammered. She buried her face into my shoulder and I sat there in shock. So much had happened to this girl and she was still willing to fight for us. She ended up falling asleep and I sat there waiting for Batman to come back in.

(Robin’s P.O.V)

                When I first saw Angel I was taken by surprise at how beautiful she was and I had only seen her for a second. Then next time I saw her she was just as beautiful if not more. I didn’t think I was falling for her until I saw here in that warehouse. She was just lying there unconscious and I had been scared that she died. When we got to the watchtower I almost yelled at Superman but Flame stepped up instead. How could I be falling for a girl that was made to destroy me?