Chapter 18

When Alaska left and the girls were asleep, I decided to watch television. As I was sitting there, my mind started to float to when I started college all those months ago. I never expected to be where I am. I have three daughters and the love of my life is dating other people. I cannot believe that Ava is 6 now. I know that I only met her a year ago, but damn I feel like I have raised her for longer.

I get a text on my phone and it is from Alaska.

Alaska: Hey come outside.

It confuses me but I walk outside to see a rose pedal path leading to the backyard. Following it I see fairy lights and flowers all over. I look over and see Alaska standing by my swing in a gorgeous red dress. I walk over to her and look at her questioning with my eyes what is going on. She just shakes her head and grabs my hand. I then notice that there is slight music in the background.

"Did you know we have never actually been on a date?" Alaska says this while she moves my hands to her waist and she puts her hands around my neck playing with my short hair.

"Yeah, I guess we got so busy with the kids and got together so quickly that we never did." I look down at her as we sway side to side. At this moment I take time to really look at her. I feel like it has been so long since I truly looked at her as the gorgeous woman who taught my sociology class over a year ago. Her long blonde hair was down in relaxed curls. She was wearing red lipstick, which matched her dress perfectly. She was all together stunning like the first time I met her. I then look down at myself and cringe at what I was wearing. My cargo shorts and polo shirt just looked crummy next to her. After having the twins I went back to wearing androgynous clothing instead of sweatpants all day.

"You look beautiful," I say this while looking straight into her eyes. Her hands tighten a bit around my neck as she smiles softly. "I know it will take time Rose, but I really do want to make this work." I nod, agreeing with her.

"I think this time though we really need to look at ourselves and not just our children. It will not always be about the kids and we need to remember that if we want this to work." I say all this while bringing her closer. I lean down and kiss her lips lightly. I do not want to kiss fully because I need her to understand that I am still being tentative. I cannot fully trust her which I think she knows.

We spend the night just dancing. Holding each other for the first time in a really long time. I smiled while looking at her which I don't think I've done in months. When we walked back to the house Alaska went into the main houses bathroom to get changed while I walked up to my room. I walked back downstairs to see her marking up the couch. I also grabbed her hand and lead her to my room to sleep. I didn't though, we really need to work on us and the only way to do so is to take our time. I know we will get there. When I see her lay down I walk over and kiss her forehead before walking up the stairs to my room. The minute my head hits the pillow I fall asleep with a small smile on my face.

So uhh hope it's ok. I reread this story and realized I have a lot I need to fix. So at some point I will be going through and fixing my errors.