.28

Baekhyun laid on a little blanket in the sand, his knitted sweater sticking to his damp skin. Chanyeol was sitting beside him, his bare back gleaming with little water droplets beneath the shinning sun. Baekhyun smiled at the sight and reached for his phone, snapping a quick picture to post to his account later.

Then sighing, he sat up and wrapped his arms around Chanyeol's waist and laid his cheek on his shoulder blade as he contentedly closed his eyes. Chanyeol's hand dropped to gently stroke along Baekhyun's arm as he softly asked, "What are you thinking about?"

Baekhyun sighed again and breathed, "Nothing and everything."

"Sounds exhausting," Chanyeol teased, his voice like a rumble against Baekhyun's cheek.

Baekhyun hummed and trailed a finger around to Chanyeol's back, dancing his fingers up and down his smooth skin. "I have a question, and I don't want it to sound rushed but . . . What are we doing?" Baekhyun asked in a small voice.

He couldn't help himself, things just seemed too perfect, and in the quiet of the moment Baekhyun's thoughts had turned back to what Sehun had said yesterday morning and had begun to worry him. He didn't want to ever have to experience what he had a year ago. He didn't want to go through that kind of pain again, because this time, he was sure it'd kill him.

"What do you mean?" Chanyeol asked.

"I mean, this hanging out. Will it go anywhere or am I just—-"

Chanyeol pivoted around in Baekhyun's arms, his hands coming up to cup his cheeks, his thumb pressed over his lips to silence his words. Chanyeol's brow was furrowed, and then after seeming to collect his thoughts, he glanced up at Baekhyun and softly asked, "Are you asking me if this is just a fling? That this is just a way of getting you into bed, maybe?"

By this point, small tears had started to trickle down Baekhyun's cheeks. Chanyeol sighed and leaned in, kissing them away before he continued by saying, "And no, this —- what we have together —- could never be called a fling. You're too important to me to ever be such a thing. And yes, I know we haven't known each other very long and only physically met in person three days ago. But haven't people done crazier? Haven't some of them just known, at first glance that the person in front of them would be their forever? Can't this be one of those moments too?" Chanyeol whispered.

Baekhyun couldn't speak by the time Chanyeol came to the end of his speech, he was too emotional. He just felt the tears rolling down his cheeks as he dropped his forehead into the hollow were Chanyeol's shoulder met his neck. Chanyeol brought one arm up to rub Baekhyun's back, while his other hand stayed on his cheek, his thumb brushing back and forth across the smooth skin.

And they were content that way, just happy with the contact and the warmth of another human being. Both of them had been hurt in different ways, and because of that pain, it acted as a binding, bringing them closer together and forging something new. Something both of them thought they had lost forever.