4

Mae’s POV

“You’re fired, Mae” Mr.pierre walks right past me, not even trying to look at me. To be honest I wonder if he could even see me?  He just shot me in the chest…. or at least that what it feels like.

“Mr.Coats!” He stopped at the stairs before he had the chance to walk down them.

“What? You want a 2nd chance I suppose?” he laughs then turns around slowly, “I don’t know if you think you’re running the show or something, but let me sum it up for you. Firstly , Have you ever seen any of these other negroes come in late? No. Now get out of my house, You’re making the place look terrible.” He turns around and walks down the stairs.

It doesn’t matter if i’m black or white, You shouldn’t talk to anyone like that. I start to ball up my fist. This man has no respect.

I feel a tug on my shoulder and see one of the butlers.

“Go home , Mae. Don’t get yourself killed now, go on!”

I yanked my shoulder away from him and left.

As I walked away from the mansion all I wanted to do was fall out any cry. But nope, that wouldn’t help me none plus, white people love seeing blacks weak. I won’t give them what they want I really won'trwon’t.

*

I sipped my tea cooly and tried my best to keep a nice image in front of my best friend Barbara. We been friends since grade school, and she always been there for me, but it seems like she throughout our lives were always a competition, She wanted to be first to do everything first.

First to have a boyfriend, First kiss, First job, First to be married. Or that could just be feeling jealous of her life going so much better than mine.

“So hows the job, I heard you a maid, Mae.” she sipped her tea. Her dress was a purple and look to have different patterns randomly  to be swallowed and just thrown up on it. Her small apartment was dark and on a small high rise down the street from mine. It smelled strongly of mothballs and old grandma perfume.

She smiled at me still waiting for a answer. Mae, keep yourself together now, don’t overdo yourself.

I looked at her calmly, “I got fired today.”

Her smile went quickly from a smile to a frown, “Oh no, How come? When?” her eyes seemed sad but I’m getting a whole different feel from her, almost likes she a bit happy.

I honestly don’t know if shes feeling remorse for me or rejoicing on the inside.

“Because I went to work late, five minutes late actually. Aren’t I so bad? But don’t tell anyone, please Barbara, I’ll find myself a new job before anyone else finds out, you hear!”

She hurried and put her tea on the table and headed over to the kitchen, “You should’ve went to work on time! You know how jobs are these days! especially when you get hired by white people! They won’t let you make excuses, once you screw up its over! Now take these and gives these to that Coats man, put these in his drink while  you two are alone.” She handed three green pills.