XXXIX

TORYN SAT NEXT TO BRANDON WITH her feet tucked under her, holding an ice pack to his face. It's been three days and although Brandon was fine, his jaw was swollen and hurt severely whenever he spoke. The doctor found no fractures but his mouth would be in pain for at least a week before it started to ease down. He was advised not to talk so much and only eat soft foods.

Toryn switched hands when the ice pack started to become too cold. For an hour each day they would do this. It helped ease the swelling down for a while. They sat on the couch watching reruns of Martin. They hadn't really talked about what happened much. From what Toryn heard Brandon was sucker punched. Brandon promised that he was going to stomp a mud hole in Takashi next time; but Toryn really didn't want the violence.

"You want some soup?" Toryn asked, turning toward him.

He just shook his head no, keeping his eyes on the screen. Ever since the incident with Takashi he's been in a bad mood. He didn't really talk much and when he did his answers were short. None of this shit would've happened if Toryn wasn't speaking to some weirdo dude she claimed was only a friend. Brandon hasn't been in a fight in years, he didn't deal with that kind of shit.

"Well do you at least want something to drink? You have to stay hydrated."

Brandon shook his head no, his eyes on the TV.

Toryn sighed, knowing he would be pissed. She was guessing he was feeling slightly embarrassed because he lost the fight; but Toryn wasn't worried about that. The main thing was that he stuck up for her and that was all that mattered. She wasn't that type of female to put him down over something like that.

"Brandon look at me." Toryn said forcing his chin in her direction. "Baby relax, I'm not worried about that stuff. You're a businessman and you have more important things to worry about. We're past that."

Brandon just yanked his face out her hold. Toryn huffed, there was nothing she could do. He was a man and his pride was hurt, he couldn't rest until he was redeemed. In the back, just barely Toryn heard her cellphone's ringtone. She got up as she tried to walk at a normal pace as if not to bring any suspicion. She already knew who it was.

Grabbing her phone off the charger she saw Takashi's name on the screen. He's been calling her ever since what happened and she's been ignoring him. She wanted absolutely nothing to do with him. The only thing she was grateful for was that he did give Brandon the money to replace her phone and it was definitely put to use.

"Stop calling my fucking cellphone." Toryn hissed into the line violently as soon as she answered, looking back at the doorway to make sure Brandon wasn't coming. Takashi called her phone nonstop and she was able to hide it so far, but one of these days Brandon was going to see.

"I need you to meet with me—"

"Fuck you." Toryn said, hanging up. She began to march toward the door when the phone began to ring again. This time she spun around and went back to put it on silent, but just as she did, something told her to answer it. It was just this feeling she had.