Chapter 6 Sacrifice

Rey

The explosion behind her made her jump. Ben still had his hands on her shoulders, but he quickly pulled back and stood up. She followed and stared at the burning hole that had been created. Storm Troopers were pouring through the hole, followed closely by a red headed man Rey didn't recognize. The soldiers surrounded the pair, their blasters raised and ready.

"Ben?" she questioned him through the bond.

"Hux" Kylo growled as the red head stepped to the front of the troopers. So, this was the famed General of the First Order. Finn had once described him as cowering weasel who screamed like a little girl. "What is the meaning of this?" Kylo growled he was furious, Rey could feel his staggering resentment.

"Kylo Ren, or should I call you traitor. You should have known better than to betray the First Order, I saw everything on the monitors" Rey looked up at Ben, shock momentarily crossed his face before the anger reappeared. "So, you've chosen the scavenger over the first order, it will be your downfall" Hux hissed.

"Ben, what do we do? Should we fight? We're seriously outnumbered" Rey was whispering to his mind, the panic in her voice was evident. She couldn't see a way out of this.

"We have to run Rey, we need to get to Snokes escape pod its thought the door behind them" He spoke to her before speaking aloud to Hux "Hux you will regret this if you don't stop now. Snoke is dead and I will not hesitate to end you in the same way." Rey was focused on the small door just to the left of where the troopers and Hux had swarmed in. It wasn't far, but there were a lot of obstacles in front of it.

"I wouldn't be threatening anything if I were you, rebel scum, you're surrounded, your death will be quick."

"Rey, get ready to run" Kylo bought his saber to him from the ground where it had been discarded earlier.

"Bring it on you bastard" Kylo spat, he ignited his saber and Rey followed suit. She looked at Ben one last time, a wave of panic crept up and she tried her best to stamp it down. Now more than ever she would need to focus, but the feeling that this would be the last time she saw Ben was overwhelming. As the storm of shots swirled around them Rey cold only focus on one thing. Keeping Ben Solo alive. The storm troopers were terrible shots, Rey and Ben easily deflected the blasts, despite the face there were only two of them.Rey lunged forward to the nearest trooper and slashed the blaster in two, taking some fingers with her hit. The man squealed in pain and fell to the floor. Ben was behind her, blocking shots as they moved forward. Rey had carved a path through the blockade in front of her. She didn't pay close attention to the pain she inflicted, it would stop her if she did. Finally, she reached the door and slammed her hand against the panel to open it. Behind her she could feel Ben still fighting. He threw several soldiers back with the force and turned to follow Rey. He was right in front of her when Rey saw it. Behind him Hux had taken a blaster from one of the soldiers and was aiming it at Bens back.

"No!" she screamed, and she reached for him and spun them, so she was blocking him. She used all her strength to shove him through the door of the pod. Ben reached for her, but it was too late. Rey felt the shot as it tore through her side. She stumbled forward, and Ben tried to catch her. Rey used her force to push him back and she threw her communicator at him before she shoved her saber though the panel and the door slammed shut. 

"I'm sorry Ben" she whispered before she hit the release button and he was ejected into space. She turned to face the few remaining troopers and Hux. He held up his hand and the soldiers stopped their assault.

"Such a meaningless sacrifice, he will be shot down in seconds" Hux smiled wickedly at Rey. She sank to the ground, she was beginning to fade as blood poured from her side. "Cuff her, get her patched up, she will be the bait that will lead Ben Solo and those resistance scumbags to their death" Rey felt the cuffs lock around her wrists and she knew she would soon be unconscious.

"Ben, please help the resistance" she thought before she faded away.