Ch.35 My Last Words

Arthur W.

Eloise had all the attention on her again. This whole thing had just turned into such a mess that I didn't even know half of what was happening anymore. But Eloise had a certain light in her eyes. She had figured something out.

"Connor," Eloise spoke, "what were you going to say?"

"I-I never left James down in the tunnels." Connor finishes.

"You five," Eloise turns to the servants, "which one of you was the one to take Connor to his room on the night of Adam's murder?"

"That would be Mister Adrian ma'am." Austin answered.

"Where did you go after that Adrien?" Eloise interrogates.

"Back to the kitchen to help with the cleaning, the others can confirm that." Adrien says.

"Eloise what in the world is your point?!" James groans.

"My point is," Eloise lowers her voice, "is that Connor is being set up. James, Connor couldn't have killed Eliza because he was down there with you that whole time. And there was no way Connor could have killed Adam because-"

"Adam was never dead." Tex finishes.

"WHAT!?" The whole room exclaims.

"Both Eliza and Adam were poisoned." Eloise states. "Adam, had taken a poison that would have momentarily shut down his entire body, staging his murder."

"But Eloise," Tex speaks up, "I just went down there with the servants to drop off Eliza's body and-"

"Adam was truly stabbed, I know. Now that just leaves us to find the murder weapon." Eloise adds.

"Well if we're going for that approach, wouldn't Grey be a suspect?" Connor asks.

"Oh, trying to turn the tables on me now are we?"

"You're the one who carries a rapier!"

"I hate to say this but, Connor is right Grey." James agrees. "You're the only one in this manor with a sword on their hip."

"I knew it was you!" Rodrich hisses. "I suspected you from the start!"
"Rodrich, calm down," Ace says, "we have no idea if that's true or not."

"Well," Rodrich continues, "it has to be either Grey or one of the servants."

"Wh-why one of us?!" Maria exclaims.

"Because we were the only ones that weren't in the tunnels." Karen explains.

"Come to think of it," I say, a thought coming to my mind, "where were the five of you while we were in the tunnels?"

"I-I was in the laundry room with Karen washing the sheets!" Maria stammers, Karen nodding next to her.

"The two of us were fixing dinner in the kitchen." Nick answers.

"It's true! I was washing the vegetables and Nick was starting to boil water." Austin chimes in.

"That just leaves you, Adrien." Eloise hisses.

That's when I realize, "Hang on a minute! Adrien, you are the master butler, aren't you?"

"Yes that is correct." Adrien gives a subtle nod.

"Then wouldn't that mean you would do everything and anything in your power to defend your master?" I ask.

"Well," Adrien shrugs, "my word can only go so far in a situation such as this."

"Oh, it can go a lot further than you think." I sneer, stepping closer to Adrien.

"Arthur," James starts, "you don't mean to say that Adrien is the murderer... do you?"

I stop right in front of Adrien. I stare into his cold... wait... his cold, dead eyes. A wave of fear splashes down on me, but I stand my ground. How had I missed this? Was this his... could he be...

"Alright, alright, enough." Eloise huffs, coming between me and Adrien. "We're all scared and we're all tired. So I have an idea."

"That idea would be?" Tex raises a brow.

"Let's all get some rest, and we'll sort this out in the morning. To ensure everyone's safety, let's partner up with two people in the same room." Eloise suggests. "Any objections?"

"No objections," Grey broke in, "just one condition."

*

That condition Grey had mentioned was that whoever shared a room with Connor would have to sleep chained to him. Surprisingly... James had volunteered. Violet stayed with Eloise and Thunder. Ace, Grey, and Tex were to share a room. Then that left me with Rodrich, who wouldn't stop pacing.

"I know it's him, it has to be him." Rodrich mumbled.

"Who are you implying is the murderer?" I asked, looking up from my book.

"Grey, it has to be him!" Rodrich whispers. "He's the only one with a weapon!"

I sigh, reaching under the pillow. I pull out a gun and show it to Rodrich asking, "Forget about this?"

"O-oh... r-right. Yes I did forget about that..." He stutters.

"Rodrich, listen I-"

A thud from outside our room cutts me off. Rodrich and I go deathly still. I load my gun and motion for Rodrich to follow. He shakes his head... he can't... this whole situation is already too much for him to handel. So I go alone. I creep out of the room, then become transparent so no one can hear my footsteps. I put my back to a wall and look around the corner.

There was Adrien... his eyes glowing red... staring at me with a soulless look in his eyes... because he was soulless... he was a Soulless Phantom. I wide grin spread across his face, a hungry look in his eyes. I was shaking, my whole body going numb. I gulped, knowing exactly what he was capable of...

"Y-you... you... it was you all along..." I gasp.

"What gave you that idea?" His words are laced with venom.

"Y-you killed Adam and Eliza... i-it was you a-all along." I stutter.

The lightning flashed, the storm roaring at full blast. Adrien stepped closer and I stepped away. I have to leave... I though, I have to warn Eloise!

You're not going anywhere you little snitch! Adrien growls in my head.

As fast as the lighting outside, Adrien grabs me by my neck, lifting me up off of the ground. My hands fly to his arm. I'm trying to loosen his grip, trying to kick him wherever I can. That's when I see it... a small purple stone capable of trapping-

"N-no!" I gasp.

"I can't have you getting in my way now that you know my dirty little secret." Adrien sneers. "It's almost sad... you never even had a chance."

"E-Eloise! J-James!" I choke out.

"H-help me!"