Chapter 3

Meher reaches in front of the hospital and stares up towards the building. She knows she is about to meet him. She will have to face him. A knot forms in her throat. She gets nervous! She suddenly wants to run back to her home. Why didn't she listen to her sisters and skipped coming to hospital today? Why?

She knows the reason very well - Naushad!

She knows that it would be next to impossible for her to face him today. Of course he knows nothing about what she went through, hours ago. But she knows! How after knowing everything would she be able to meet his eyes? But what's the big deal in looking into his eyes Meher? There in the hospital are surely many other people as well apart from him; especially many other male doctors, are you scared of meeting them as well?

Yes she certainly is! She would hate to even stand close to any male co-doctors! It would be difficult for her to trust anyone now! But with Dr. Rizvi, it is different! She is ashamed and nervous about what he might think if he discovers the truth? What if he stops talking to her?

The mere thought of his refraining to talking to her all over again like old times, sends shivers down her spine! She doesn't want to return to point zero (0) with him!

But at the same time, she is craving to see him. Her throbbing heart will get rest only when he comes in front of her. She is feeling she has betrayed his trust in her and only if he talks to her politely will she get relaxed, hence she is here today, not wanting to delay meeting him!

Shutting her eyes tight she shakes her head and clears her mind. Sighing, she opens her eyes and looks towards the hospital. Taking a deep breath she enters!

Whilst wearing her white coat, she enters the room where she knows her class would be conducted. The moment she enters Naushad stares her. His heart skips a beat. She is finally there for whom he was waiting since.... what feels like ages!

Walking ahead Dr. Naushad taunts her playfully, smiling a little,

"Ayiye! Sirf teen ghanta late! Par shukriya apne aney ki zehmat to uthayi!",

saying so he looks towards her, his hands tugged into the pockets of his trousers.

By now they are walking together followed by other interns.

"Sorry Dr. Rizvi! Khala ki mehndi hai, unki madad kar rahi thi!",

Meher makes excuse, her eyes cascaded down out of hesitation, especially because she is lying to him!

Naushad looks towards her, hearing her carefully.

"Raat ko bhi hospital se seedhe ghar mein hi chali gayi!",

she deliberately says this. Or rather it's her feeling of guilt that makes her to clarify herself without being asked to do that!

Naushad of course having no idea about what all she went through takes her excuse as real. But he also finds her demeanor and her behaviour odd! Where is that stubborn, witty Meher that he knows?

They reach one patient and asks Dr. Khan to start with his work of explanation about the case of the child. Dr. Khan takes over.

Naushad and Meher stand just in front of the bed of the patient on either side, maintaining a gap between them. But both of them completely aware of each other's presence! Where on one hand Meher bites her nails, out of nervousness, wanting this practical class to end so that she could get away from Naushad, there on the other hand Naushad not focusing on the explanation of Dr. Khan looks towards Meher, sheepishly. He still feels her getting aloof, away from him. She certainly is not behaving normal today! She hasn't even looked towards him yet! She never does that. In fact she makes sure to look at him, the first thing she does after coming to the hospital.