Chapter 5

In the evening all gather for Fatima's mehndi ceremony and Eid.

"Mubarak ho Junaid Saheb!",

greets Naushad reaching him wearing a cream coloured kurta-pajama and shaking hands with him.

"Thank you!",

he accepts the compliment, laughing and blushing.

"Eid mubarak!",

wishes Mr. Junaid and embraces Naushad into a warm hug.

As soon as Naushad hugs him, his eyes falls on Meher standing at a corner. He keeps staring her, his eyes reflecting his innate feelings for her. But he also notices how exhausted she looks!

Meher's eyes happen to fall on Naushad and her heart skips a beat on discovering him staring her. She manages to read his emotions transmitted by his eyes, very well. But that skips her heartbeat again and she could feel her legs turning jelly. Already having almost zero stamina and this feeling he is ushering towards her, becomes too much for her to handle. But thank goodness she manages to stand erect still, somehow!

Meher becomes the first one to lower her eyes. But that doesn't make Naushad to lower his. It was only when Mr. Junaid unwraps his arms from around Naushad that Naushad finally looks away from her.

Meher goes to her sisters and sits with them slowly and exhales, thinking that finally she can sit. The dress; the makeup although she has kept them light and minimal, but her state doesn't allow her to endure the weight of even that much and hence she is getting tired again and again in short spans.

Her eyes on their own accord go towards Naushad who according to her was looking charming. She couldn't help but take her eyes again and again towards him. Naushad senses her eyes on him and looks towards her. Their eyes meet! This skips Meher's heartbeat and she quickly lowers her eyes.

 Their eyes meet! This skips Meher's heartbeat and she quickly lowers her eyes

All enjoy and dance. Meher's mother drags Meher to dance despite her constant refrains. Meher stands in the middle and claps her hands as a gesture of showing her happiness but inside she feels nothing but tiredness!

 Meher stands in the middle and claps her hands as a gesture of showing her happiness but inside she feels nothing but tiredness!