Prologue

The lights danced around us as we danced within them. All my eyes would focus on were the soft look of her lips. Her hair was bouncing with every move as the beat pulsed through our bodies. It was magical.

"Here take this," she spoke softly into my ear as she slid a small tablet into my hands. "Let's get wild," I was shocked as I looked down at the blue pill. She popped hers in a swallowed, opening her mouth to show that it was no longer there. "C'mon," her tongue lined her lips and my knees went weak as I slide the pill between my teeth.

The lights were brighter and the colors were vibrant. It felt like I was floating, and kept looking at my feet to make sure they were still planted to the ground. We danced around the floor for a few songs and I could feel my hair stick to my back as we jumped around.

"Smoke break, yeah?" She yelled across over the music. Waving her pack of cigarettes in the air. I nodded as she grabbed my hand to lead me through the crowd. Her touch burned my skin as my feet lifted from the ground. I was floating.

She smelled luxurious, a soft musk with just a hint of floral. I breathed it in as my face sunk deeper into the cape of her neck. I could hear people around us shuffle as she walked us through the crowd.

The city air was cold against the sweat on my skin. She set me down then proceeded to grab the pack from her back pocket.

"Want one?" She opened the pack and tilted it my direction. She slid her body down the brick wall until she was sitting on the pavement.

"Please," I don't smoke. In fact I despised smoking. But here I was pulling a stick out. She inched in towards me lighting the cig and I've never felt more attracted to a woman than I do now.

"So, how are you feeling?" She inhaled with a smile on her face, almost if satisfaction.

"Vibrant," I choked on the burn as I inhaled the stick. "You come here often?" I asked joining her on the ground.

"Every few months," het accent was heavy and I knew she had to be from Brooklyn or Philly. "Work has been keeping me busy for awhile, I haven't had much time to let loose lately," she closed her eyes and nodded her head to the music inside. "Want to get out of here?" Her eyes never met mine as she crumbled the cigarette into the pavement.

"My friends are still inside," I slurred. I thought about Harry and how I had already been away from him for what seemed like hours. Her eyes were full of adventure and I couldn't help myself. "Fine, lets go."

We walked for what seemed like forever until we reached a small park on the hill. It was colder up here but every ion in my body was still bouncing inside of me.

"Turn around," she spoke soft and quite. I was sure we were the only ones here.

"Wow," I ran to the top of the hill to get a better view of the city. It was remarkable how just moments ago we were living in the noise, but now the noise just seemed like a faint buzz beneath our feet. "How'd you find this place?" I asked looking over at her as she stared directly into my eyes.

"I didn't, it found me," I watched her speak and felt something familiar, like the first time Harry had ever spoken to me. The butterflies and chills were magnified this time.

"What do you mean?" I asked a few moments later when I'd realized I'd been staring.

"When I was a little girl my dad would bring home helium balloons," she was talking into the distance as she sat down on the bench. "Each time he'd given it to me, we would go for a walk and I would, of course, take it with me and eventually give it away to another kid I would meet in passing.

So," she sighed shaking her head as I sat down next to her. "This one day we were walking, not too far from here. Maybe a half block before the hill, and I went to give the ballon away but the boy I gave it to didn't grasp the string and it started to blow away," she giggled. "I had my dad walk for hours trying to find it and by the time he was tired and explained that I wasn't getting it back the sun was setting and we were on top of this hill," she looked away from the lights and towards my direction," I was sure that was the most beautiful thing I've ever seen, but then I came back. And kept coming back and each time was better than the last. I wrote my first song here," she finished.

"So you're a song writer?" I asked raisin an eyebrow.

"Yeah, my dads a producer so I've always been around it," she smiled. "It'd be unnatural for me to not have any talent. "

"My boyfriend is actually an artist. I've spent A LOT of time around some really cool people. That's actually why I'm in the city right now," I explained. "We should get together sometime?"

"I don't know, I kind of just like doing my own thing when it comes to my music. But thank you," her voice was protective. "So you've got a boyfriend huh?" She said repeatedly as she lit another cigarette. I've never seen it look so good, dangling out of the corner of her lips.

"Yes, his names Harry," I looked away from her as she anticipated a joke. "You might know him actually, Harry Styles."

"Oh damn," her head jerked in my direction as I spoke. "How do you not have security looking for you right now?" She laughed standing up, walking closer to the city skyline.

"I'm not that important, just plain ole Natalia," I sighed as I followed her to the ledge.

"Talia, nice to meet you. I'm Mikaela," her head rested on my shoulder and it fit so perfectly and felt so right. The lights were still vibrant and there was still a buzzing within me but I could tell my high was fading from the walk across town.

I thought about Harry as we sat staring over at the cityscape. He was so inspired by this city. He took in everything the city had to offer him, and look at him now. I looked down at Mikaela and something felt different, something strange. Unexplainable. She was an admirer of the city, her home. I was an admirer of her.

The sky was black but the lights below us made it look alive. I just wanted to jump into them and bathe in their florescence. We talked for hours. I just wanted to know it all. I haven't been so curious since middle school. Her dreams, talents, friends I soaked in the knowledge as she spilled every drop out.

The pills were wearing off and my body started to feel numb as my mind grew tired. We walked back down the hill and made our way to the club.

"You're so pretty," I looked up at her. She was slightly taller than I was. I hadn't noticed a drop of makeup on her and her outfit was so simple, but it was her. She had a white tank top and vintage light washed jeans. I looked down at my red dress and the heels hanging from my hands. It took my an hour just to put my makeup on tonight.

"Do you mean it?" There was uncertainty in her voice and I wondered why she'd even doubt it.

"Of course," I stared at her as she looked away from me. My hand dropped from hers and it was only then that I realized our fingers had been interlocked.

We reached the club and I stood on the curb to catch a cab back to my hotel. Her back was to the brick wall and everything in me wanted to stay with her.

"Will I see you again?" She asked as the streetlights flickered above us.

"Only if you look," I replied sliding into the back of the cab. Everything felt so full circle, but so confusing. I wondered what this meant and if I would actually ever see Mikaela again