Fifteen

Talia

I laid flat on my stomach as I watched the storm clouds approach the hills. I had seen this view my entire life but today it looked different, it felt different. I had the black pack of cigarettes tucked tightly away in my back pocket as I lit, smoked, and repeated until there was only four left. My nose and throat burned more and more with each inhale but it was nice to feel a real pain.

There were so many shades of green and blues that I'd never paid much attention to until today. A few hours ago I tried counting them but quickly lost track. Or I would think of Mikaela the first time she saw them at my parents anniversary party. She didn't overlook the beauty that was right in front of her. I wondered why she thought of the hills so highly but kept my mouth shut out of spite and pity. I would do anything to ask more questions, to study her thoughts like a textbook or to even just hear her voice right now.

I shot my thoughts of her away as the breeze set in. I wondered if somehow it was my Nona getting my attention, trying to cleanse my mind of my sinful thoughts. If she'd been flying around the hills since I ran away here just watching and judging me. Even with the heaviness of losing her and the pain that filled my chest, I know she's in heaven trying to cook up a plan to fix me.

The cigarettes ashes fell to the grass as the sun started to set. I thought about going home now, but then I would find out if Mikaela ever showed up or not. If she did she would probably still be hanging out with Jessie, and if she didn't Jessie would be sure to tell me she didn't make it. Both would break what's left of my heart even more.

The sun was low now and there was a soft drizzle of rain now, I have no choice but to head back to the house. I tossed the cigarette butt to the ground, stomping on the heat with my shoe. The backyard was empty as I got closer to the house. I cling onto the cigarette pack tighter the closer I got. I'm sure I ruined the last few that were in there.

When I had a better view of the house I noticed flashing red and blue lights out front. I couldn't tell if it was the police or ambulance but my heart fell at the sight of them. I picked up the pace half jogging through the middle gates to get to the front of the house. There were two police cars lined up out front.

"What's going on?" I asked approaching a younger officer who was leaning on the engine of the car. His phone was out with a smirk on his face.

"Missing child case, from what it looks like that is. I don't know much," the neighborhood was filled with children but no one goes missing like they do in the inner city.

"Oh my God," I gasped trying to think of children nearby. "Where do they live at?" I asked fighting for his attention again, realizing they couldn't give me the information I was asking for.

"They live here," he looked up at the house, tucking the phone into his pocket. I thought maybe he had the wrong house since he is clearly poor at his job.

"There aren't any kids that live here though," I laughed confused as he shot a disapproving look my way.

"The report says a Natali-" he pointed at a notebook that resembles a doodle pad as I cut him off.

"You have got to be kidding me," I couldn't tell if I was angry or amused as I bursted into the house.

Three more officers stood in the middle of the foyer with my parents as their faces struck red at the sight of me.

"Oh my God, where have you been?" My mom cried running over to me. I could hear my dad trying to explain that I am who they were looking for as they started to back away exiting one by one.

"Doesn't it have to be 48 hours before you file a missing person report?" I asked the last officer as he walked out the front door.

My moms arms were still thrown around me as the officer mumbled "yes". I pulled away from her embrace rolling my eyes. The clock struck exactly six and I left the house a little after noon.